Unregistered plot of land

Wifey

There is a piece of land close to my home that has laid unclaimed for years.

Story goes.....
A lady came to our area in the 50's and hit it off with a local stud and decided to set up home and so purchased the field to build a home. Relationship ended and she returned to England never to be seen again. Studs family insisted for a while that they were the owners but land has remained unused for many years. Studs descendents have dispersed and not many left about.
Checked with the land registry and there is no registered owner of the plot. Have contacted the Valuation office in Dublin and am awaiting a reply.

Does anyone know what happens in this situation. If I wish to become the legal owner of the plot what do I have to do?

Re: Unregisteres plot of land

1. Fence it off.
2.Make very obvious claims of ownership, plant some trees, graze some cows........
3. Wait 12 years.

Only problem is if this is unregistered land, you will find it hard to ever sell it as there is no title to it.

So, if land is not registered, see what Valuation Office say - see who they have down as the owner and contact them to say you would like to buy the land if they can show title. Or get a solicitor to organise a Registry of Deeds search from the last known owner ( someone in the locality surely knows the history of ownership).

IMO, it is not always possible to find out who owns what or acquire good title in these circumstances.

mf

And bear in mind that even if you do 'sit on it' for 12 years, due to a relatively recent ECHR judgement, you may end up in court in order to claim title and may have to pay compensation to the previous registered owner ( whether unreg title or not).

Back