unregistered EU car, no tax and no insurance

I asked a good friend in the Dept. of Finance about that, and the answer was - no, they won't. Checkpoints targeting dozens of drivers is one thing, responding to a tip-off is another.

Too much hassle and not enough return (a few hundred € in taxes - IF the owner doesn't decide the car's not worth the bother).

I'm looking to buy a car and except for my excessive sense of patriotism, I'd only be too glad to pick up a cheap number in NI or GB. So I'll just suck it up and scowl at people less patriotic (or stupid) than I.

How can someone in the Dept. of Finance tell you what the Revenue Commissioners and the Customs & Excise section do?

Not unless it's on Irish number plates.

so if you are legally resident in Ireland but your spouse is legally resident abroad but visits regularly (it's getting more common with families split up because they have to search for work abroad); and if that spouse visits via car say on the ferry from England, you cant borrow your spouses car to pick the spouse up from somewhere like his or her parents ? They have to take a taxi or bus instead ? And they always have to be the one who drives when both of you are in the car ?

That is pretty much it. It really sucks.

Now, I wonder what they would do if I took my foreign reg back to Ireland (it was originally Irish to begin with so no VRT to collect) speaking with a broad Dublin accent they would never believe that I am a foreign resident.

Thats completely nuts. I thought we were in a single market. How can we legally apply an extra tariff onto German cars etc ? Do German manufacturers not have a problem with this ? What would happen if Germany decides it can reciprocate and applies tariffs onto our goods ?

Back