Unmarried Partners rights to Apartment.

ryan-neil

Hi,

My question is this, i just purchased an apartment for 280k euro with the intent of renting the second bedroom. At the same time the OH will be moving in with me, the idea was that she could live with me rent free and i would rent the other room, she now says she doesn't want the other room let out, i agreed to this as long as she pays the lost rent, €350 per month and her share of the bills.

I want to have some sort of legal agreement drawn up re this and especially to her rights with respect to ownership, i am concerned as to how the courts would see it if we ever part ways, i am in favour of registering with the tenant board and getting her to claim tax back to solidify my position but idealy i would rather have a legal contact stating the agreement, after all your normal tenants can't claim ownership of your place once you part ways. If something goes wrong the last thing i need is her appearing with a solicitor looking for a percentage of the apt or moneys paid back. Then i may as well have lived alone as she would be getting a free ride all the time she was there. All other items for the apartment i have purchased myself so not as to blur the lines.

She also plans to purchase her own apt in Poland as a property investment so i would be quite upset if she was ever to lay claim to my apartment while having her own abroad.

Can anyone advise if this is possible, esp with respect to the new rights for unmarried partners.

bottom line is ryan your name, presumably, is on the title deeds making you recognised legal owner. this can be ammended if you want and if you are looking for your partner to have an interest in your property then you may draft a co-onwership/ joint tenancy agreement. you can get a copy of the agreement from the law society in black hall place. all the other issues are straight forward. In regards to unmarried partners this is a greyish area and will pertain to contracts etc. one area that would be viewed is contributions. also as you are unmarried you are not recognised by law yet so any dealings done together would be done as co-owners or joint tenants, depending on the terms of the agreement.

Have a search I'm sure this has come up in previous threads. Also have a look at [broken link removed]

Just for people info.

After speaking with the solicitor i have been informed she will need to annually sign a lease agreement, so i assume that means signing up with the tenants board, But a small price to pay for the piece of mind.

HOPE TO GOD SHE NEVER READS THIS :)

Just for people info.

After speaking with the solicitor i have been informed she will need to annually sign a lease agreement, so i assume that means signing up with the tenants board, But a small price to pay for the piece of mind.

HOPE TO GOD SHE NEVER READS THIS :)

I would have thought that Room for Rent scheme is the avenue you want to go down.
And yes, if she reads this you are goosed!!!

Surely that's included in the rent?

Tee hee! :D

You should rent under the Rent a Room Scheme. You are allowed to receive rent up to 7620 per annum without tax liability. The girlfriend can claim tax relief on the rent. You're not taking a very optimistic approach to this living together bit are you? Why don't you ask for a share of the polish property?

http://www.unison.ie/irish_independent/stories.php3?ca=9&si=1734558&issue_id=14959

You might want to take a look at the link above from the Independent. Basically it says that unmarried couples will be given legal protection and will be entitled to similar rights as a married couple in the event of a breakup. They will become 'qualified co-habitants' after three years and will have significant claims on each others properties, earnings etc after that. They won't have automatic rights without signing an agreement but I'm sure a court challenge is somewhere down the road. And we know how the courts don't like to see women being hard done by......

Back