unmarried mothers in college

P

peter11

Hi,

My daughter is due early in 08 and is starting 2nd year in College. What is she intitled to from the State? She is intending to continue and finish her degree. Looked at www.welfare.ie but I find this unhelpfull. Would appreciate any advice from anyone who had a similiar experience

Haven't had the experience, but see here for info on State entitlements.

I'd suggest she also approach/inform the Student Welfare officer at her College a.s.a.p. as they will be better able to show flexibility with regard to exam arrangements and other course requirements.

This tweeked my interest Peter11 and while the links are a bit informative I don't think your questions are being answered fully.

I don't have the answers but I think you should be asking how your daughter is going to be able to manage while in college, and what happens after the arrival of the baby. Will the state help towards childcare, is there childcare at the university and how is a student going to be able to afford it.

I see on one of the links that there is a benefit, payable quarterly (€250) towards childcare..... where does a student get the other €2K to pay for it.

I will be very interested in seeing any replies you receive. I will ask people I know who have had children in college recently if they have any ideas as some of them must have come in contact with girls in the same boat.

She is lucky to have such a caring father.....:)

What College? do they have a student welfare office? SU offfice? if so, I'd have thought they'd know pretty much all there is to know on this one.

I wonder would a visit to your local community welfare officer be of any benefit.... Are these people there to assist you in every way, or make it as difficult as possible to your getting financial and emotional assistance when you most need it.

One parent family payment (approx €207 per week), child benefit (€160 per month) & the childcare supplement (€250 every 3 months).
Is she in receipt of a college grant? Does she still live with you?

If she lives with you then her eligibility for a college grant is still based on her parents' incomes regardless of whether she has a baby or not, this is what I was told when I was in her position.

Usually large colleges & universities have creche facilities but even these can be quiet costly for a single parent on a tight budget.

i heard that if you claim one parent family payment you have to look for maintenance from boyfriend. How much do you expect to get here, he is on min wage? Thanks for your help

She should go to access officier in her college, they are brilliant for advice and will put her in right direction. Also alot of colleges have subsidised creches so may be possible for her baby to go there. G'Luck

I went to DIT, I had my daughter in july and started back in college in october. I claimed lone parents and i also got money from the college for child care. I said nothing to the social welfare about being in college as they didn't ask but not sure if this affects your payment or not.

If you have to go after the 'father' for maintanance to claim the 'one parent allowance' \I think the best bet is ignorance.... don't know....
Not that your daughter is like that, but how is everyone else getting it???? They can't all 'not know'.....

Just an idea....

Ok, regarding OPFP here's an example:

Total amount per week is €207. Lets say she tells social welfare that she is getting €50 per week from the father as maintainence. then half of this amount (€25) is deducted from the €207 , resulting in payment of €182 per week...at least this is what the situation was when I applied.

although she could state that the father is also a student with no income... as far as I've seen they don't look into this and just take your word for it

I said nothing to the social welfare about being in college as they didn't ask but not sure if this affects your payment or not.

You are obliged to inform SW of any change in your circumstances ... and you would have signed a declaration to this effect! They "do not ask" because they don't know! You should inform them immediatly, even though it might not affect your payment...they might think you're trying to hoodwink them!

Ok, regarding OPFP here's an example:

Total amount per week is €207. Lets say she tells social welfare that she is getting €50 per week from the father as maintainence. then half of this amount (€25) is deducted from the €207 , resulting in payment of €182 per week...at least this is what the situation was when I applied.

although she could state that the father is also a student with no income... as far as I've seen they don't look into this and just take your word for it

Are you encourageing fraudulent claiming?! It is a long road without a turn adn if sometime in the future, a review reveals false statements, the claimant could find herself in court and have a hefty five-figure overpayment to repay! It is always safer to be honest adn above board.

Yes, SW will ask you to chase the father for maintenance of his child...the state asks them to do this for the simple reason that it does not want the taxpayer footing the bill for rearing a deliquent father's child.

Yes, it is your responsibility to provide evidence that you did this, through the courts or through voluntary methods.

And yes, even when maintenance is paid, SW tops this up with the OFP payment.

You are obliged to inform SW of any change in your circumstances ... and you would have signed a declaration to this effect! They "do not ask" because they don't know! You should inform them immediatly, even though it might not affect your payment...they might think you're trying to hoodwink them!

I'm no longer on social welfare payments, i finished my degree a couple of years ago.

Are you encourageing fraudulent claiming?! ..........

Yes, SW will ask you to chase the father for maintenance of his child...the state asks them to do this for the simple reason that it does not want the taxpayer footing the bill for rearing a deliquent father's child.

Yes, it is your responsibility to provide evidence that you did this, through the courts or through voluntary methods.

And yes, even when maintenance is paid, SW tops this up with the OFP payment.

I am not suggesting fraudulent claiming, I am simply stating that if the child's father is a student and has not got an income then he will be unable to provide maintainance and therefore the claimant will be entitled to the full OPFP amount.

And I don't understand how being a student father makes you a deliquent.
For the OP, Your daughter will need to apply for the OPFP so I advise that she applies for this ASAP after the child's birth as it takes some time to be dealt with. Until her application for OPFP is approved she will be entitled to Supplementary Welfare Allowance. This is less than the OPFP but the difference is backdated. In order to recieve this she must speak to the local Community welfare officer.

I hope that helps!

Last edited by a moderator:
And I don't understand how being a student father makes you a deliquent.

I think, if Welfarite forgives the interpretation, that not making any attempt to support your child makes some parents "deliquent", neglecting their responsibilities in effect, forcing the taxayer to support their offspring.

I think that this sentence is perhaps the problem - it reads as if you are suggesting the OP lie about the father's circumstances - I think you meant however that you are assuming the father is also a student.

Back