Uninsured driver

socky1

Hi,

My partner was involved in car accident before xmas. Was rear-ended at traffic lights by another vehicle. Gardai where notifed the same of day of accident. She has been out of work for 3 months with whiplash sympthoms so no income etc coming in. This person accepted liability for accident and they swopped insurance details etc. From the start this guy was reluctant to go through car insurance and he wanted to settle privately for the damage to the car. We consulted with a solicitor who advised to speed things up settle privately for the car and take out separate personal accident insurance claim (covered in our comprehensive policy) It later turned out (3 weeks later when notified by my partners insurance company )that this person's insurance had expired and that he took out insurance the following day after the accident. Sneeky? We have notifed gardai since but its up to the original gardai who we reported accident with to take further action. In the meantime claim had been put through PIAB (peronal injuries assessment board) for personal injuries damages (hospital xrays/medication/doctors fees and loss of earnings and solicitor appointed etc. We paid fees to the PIAB for medical report form etc. It now turns out because individual had no insurance that we now have to go through MIBI (motor insurers bureau of ireland). Has anyone had any dealings with these guys. Does one have to pay up front fee and how long do they take to reach any settlements

Just trying to get some expenses back. Goin around in circles and very confused. any advice would be appreciated

There seems to be a bit of confusion here.

solicitor tol you to settle up the car damage aspect - fair enough. however, i do not understand how he/she told you to claim under your personal accident section of your own comprehensive policy. the benefots under that section are small and are basically simply to pay towards small medical expenses.

PIAB will not deal with uninsured cases as it is obvious that the RESPONDENT, in your case the uninsured driver, won't give a damn about the situation.

MIBI will appoint an insurance company to handle the claim and that company should deal with the claim as they would deal with any other claim.

I would think that as you have consulted a solicitor, he/she has not given you good advice. Surely he/she attended to completing the PIAB forms and the MIBI forms? He/she should be familiar with the operating procedures of the MIBI.

MIBI are very helpful if you look at their website or phone them.

Thanks Ravima,

probably didn't explain myself fully on the personal accident section. One Solicitor did advise us to go to PIAB for this piece but obviously at this stage seeing that other party had no insurance we have to go to MIBI. We are using different solicitor appointed originally by PIAB to process through MIBI but seems to slow process at this stage. Trying to confirm what this solictor has done at this stage around completing the PIAB forms and the MIBI forms. Not getting much feedback. Will contact both MIBI and solicitor tomorrow for clarification etc. Thanks again for your advice

I had an accident a couple of yrs ago with an uninsured driver which went through the MIBI.
There were no injuries involved, so that made things quicker, still took about 2yrs though. I was claiming through MIBI directly (via my solicitors), rather than on my comprehensive insurance as my understanding was you couldn't do this & then claim from MIBI, but according to #6 from their FAQ this is not/no longer the case.
[broken link removed]
I found my solicitors fustrating to deal with as well, but ultimately you have to let yourself be guided by them (chasing up & hounding as necessary).

Feel free to PM me if you want any specifics.

yes, if involved in an accident with uninsured driver, you MUST claim under your comprehensive policy if you have one. Your NCB will NOT be affected however under agreements between insurers and MIBI.

Back