Uni student not working for summer

Status
Not open for further replies.

sepmilo

What entitlements does a college student have during the summer months when he can't find a job? Can he apply for Social Welfare?

as long as they can prove they have tried/are trying to find work yes. I know someone who did it last summer she got unemployment benefit based on her previous earnings

I think it will be means assessed based on household (or at least parents) income. If you are living away from the family home you are proabably more likely to qualify or if there is only social welfare income in the household then I think you would also quaify.

Is it realistic to think that a student couldn't find any work in our current economic situation?

RainyDay said:
Is it realistic to think that a student couldn't find any work in our current economic situation?
I understand that it is not as easy for students to find summer jobs these days because of the availability of foreign workers willing to work for minimum wage. This applies to the rural towns anyway. I do not know how it is in Dublin.

woods said:
I understand that it is not as easy for students to find summer jobs these days because of the availability of foreign workers willing to work for minimum wage. This applies to the rural towns anyway. I do not know how it is in Dublin.
So you mean that 'it is not easy for students to find summer work above minimum wage then?

I understood that you could not apply for social welfare in between years of a college course - that is was only after you had finished the course that you could............

and as for students finding jobs - its not that difficult to get a job in Tesco or Dunnes for the summer............

Winnie said:
I understood that you could not apply for social welfare in between years of a college course - that is was only after you had finished the course that you could............
You cannot apply for Unemployment Assistance (the dole), as you are considered to be undertaking a course of study under clause 2 below..

A person is regarded as attending a course of study for:
  1. the duration of the academic year
  2. the period immediately following the completion of one academic year (apart from the final academic year of a course of study) up to the commencement of the following academic year.
  3. the 3 month period immediately following the completion or leaving by that person of second level education or the completion of the Leaving Certificate Examination, whichever is the later.

However, if you have an entitlement to Unemployment Benefit based on your stamps, it cannot be denied just on the basis that you are a student, as long as you meet the rest of the requirements.

Students are having extreme difficulty getting jobs for the summer.There does not appear to be may summer jobs available. Last summer my daughter applied for a job in Dunnes at the interview she was asked if she would be available after September and when she said that she was in college in Galway and it would depend on her timetable they said there was no point giving her a job if she could not stay on. I felt that she should have said she would be available but my honest daughter would have none of it!!! After a few weeks she did get a job €250 per week and she was delighted. She is off to the USA on a J1 this year and she will probably come home with very little to pay her bank loan. Hopefully she will get some kind of a job. Six of them are going to San Diego and after the mess some Irish lads left after them last year I hope the locals will give them jobs and some where to stay!!

With no disrespect to anyone here but based on my experience of my younger brother and his friends there is a mentaility in today's younger generation that they won't work for this 'wage' or do that type of 'work'. Whereas when i was younger you knew without any qualifications you couldn't expect too much. I suppose this is a problem in all of Ireland today that people can be a bit too cocky as to their worth. Alot of people won't do cleaning jobs etc and I believe this is seriously harming our economy as people live on credit and the social welfare instead

Given my instruction to keep this on facts/entitlements and not get into a wider debate has been ignored, I am locking this thread. Anyone who is entitled to 'contrubute' further can do so in Letting Off Steam.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back