Unexpected VHI bill

Grus

Hi All,

I worked in a company up to the end of April 2007. This company provided full VHI cover called company plan plus. Once I left this company I assumed that this cover would end unless I specifically contacted them asking for a new plan. So I was a bit suprised when today, I got a bill from VHI for about €600 for the last year. The cover is still callled company plan plus on this bill. Any advice on where I stand would be appreciated. Thanks, Grus.

Call them and tell them what you expected and that you are surprised to receive this bill? If you did not make any claims during the relevant period they may just cancel the invoice.

Thanks Clubman, was going to call them but just wanted to know where I stand first. I haven't made any claims (since I didn't think I was covered!) in the past year so hopefully that'll help.

Everything is sorted. I phoned VHI and it turns out my previous company never got around to letting VHI know that I was no longer an employee. A very helpful lady at VHI said I could "burn the bill if ya want".

I had the same problem with VHI after I left a company. Definitely don't burn the bill as I kept getting these bills despite numerous phonecalls and assurances from VHI that it was sorted.

It was eventually sorted but make sure you get the name of anyone that you are talking to in VHI and note the date/time of the call and what was agreed.

Triona

I thought VHI was paid in advance ?And thought also a similarity with car insurance. If you dont pay the premiums then they can refuse to cover you for an accident ? Is this not true ?

its usually up to the company to advise the health insurance company that an employee has left, i doubt the insurance company will know other wise !!
once the comp does eventually get around to it, the person would be cancelled from they day they left, and have the option to carry on the policy if they wish without losing any benefit, or have a break in cover..

Could it be VHI's fault?

I still get regular letters from VHI addressed to a previous owner of my house who is deceased several years.

Could it be VHI's fault?

I still get regular letters from VHI addressed to a previous owner of my house who is deceased several years.

again, unless a company are told that a member is RIP, they will not know...might just think that they did not renew a policy, and might by sending info about re-joining. why not open the letter and call them and advise them, should dtop it...

Back