Unemployments Benefits Finished - What Now

I don't follow
If somebody becomes a full time home husband/wife or a home carer then they are unlikely to be genuinely available for work in which case they would not qualify for Jobseeker's Allowance/Benefit.

Have you checked out this website:

There are warehouse operative jobs available in Clondalkin, which at an hours cycle for your husband would suit until he could get a better mode of transport?

Thanks will check this site out

If somebody becomes a full time home husband/wife or a home carer then they are unlikely to be genuinely available for work in which case they would not qualify for Jobseeker's Allowance/Benefit.

I still don't follow, as he didn't leave his job to become a home carer he's only doing the housework to give him something to do with his time and I only called him a house husband 'cos bacchus asked what he did all day

walsh101, I wouldn't worry if you husband is genuinely available and seeking work then he should qualify for jobseekers benefit/allowance (if means satisfied). what Clubman i suspect is referring to more is the case where somebody makes a lifestyle choice to stay at home care for children, relatives or just to be fulltime housewife then you can't claim this benefit because you're not genuinely available and looking for work. I'm not suprised your husband doesn't want to continue as a self employed house husband - the pay is rubbish.

Perhaps this should read if someone CHOOSES to become.....

Walsh 101 - Would your husband be interested in returning to education?? V.T.O.S offer a range of FETAC level educational courses including the Leaving Certificate for mature students also he could try and access a third level eduacation course, colleges are very accommodating towards mature students. Also your husband would qualify for the Back to Education Allowance and may also be entitled to a grant if he takes the college route. I went through VTOS and third level 8 years ago and it was one of the most enjoyable periods of my life. Whilst at college I met many wonderful people of all ages and the eldest in my year was 55. It is possible your husband self-esteem is at rock bottom and sometimes people give up trying after been turned down over and over again for jobs. Please feel free to pm me if you want more details re the educational route.

FÁS current have 6868 jobs on their website and they also run the Community Employment Scheme. Surely anyone who wants to work (and is employable) will find a job at the moment; especially if one is not receiving a welfare payment which might otherwise act as a disincentive to work.

I typed warehouse and Dublin West and found plenty of jobs.
Maybe not all are suitable but maybe you'll find something.

Seriously, if tens of thousands of Eastern Europeans with less local knowledge and probably less English can get a job here then so can your husband.
I've given one site and michaelm has given another, do some searching

Apologies if my post seems harsh

He doesnt have to work in a warehouse. Anyone living in Dublin suburbs has access to 1000s of possible job vacancies. Some may not be ideal, but they pay the bills.

He will qualify for Community Employment (CE) work, or the Social Economy Programme. Both operated through FAS. There are numerous caretaking jobs in this category (I know of many community centres and charities which are looking to fill CE/SE jobs with no joy). There seems to be no problem filling admin type jobs, but the more masculine jobs like caretaking or handyman jobs are impossible to fill.

They are not ideal, as they only pay a subsistence amount, but they will get him back in the workforce and get some of his confidence back. Get onto FAS.

my 72 year old father got a job in b and q...if he wants a job..., it's not that hard! sorry if this seems harsh.

Hope this hasn't been said before but, the SW seem to be pretty reasonable and don't cut you off Payment(s) unless you either:

a) become unavailable for full-time work
or
b) are not bothering looking for work.

If they suspect that you fall into one of these catagories then they will surely cut you off. Maybe that has happened here?

Hope this hasn't been said before but, the SW seem to be pretty reasonable and don't cut you off Payment(s) unless you either:

a) become unavailable for full-time work
or
b) are not bothering looking for work.

If they suspect that you fall into one of these catagories then they will surely cut you off. Maybe that has happened here?
Are you sure about that? I thought that the problem here was PRSI linked Jobseeker's Benefit ran out after so many weeks and the claimant did not pass the means test for Jobseeker's Assistance so they are left with no SW payment while unemployed?

Are you sure about that? I thought that the problem here was PRSI linked Jobseeker's Benefit ran out after so many weeks and the claimant did not pass the means test for Jobseeker's Assistance so they are left with no SW payment while unemployed?
When I was signing on about a year ago. I was on Jobseeker's Allowance (JA) which was (I'm sure) not PRSI related.(?) - Which is what I believe the OP states (in opening sentence) her husband was recieving?

Am I missing something here? :eek:

When I was signing on about a year ago. I was on Jobseeker's Allowance (JA) which was (I'm sure) not PRSI related.(?) - Which is what I believe the OP states (in opening sentence) her husband was recieving?

Am I missing something here? :eek:
Yes:
My husband was laid off approx 17 months ago and was claiming Jobseekers Allowance. But this is now finished as you only get if for 15 months.

... To clarify he was on Jobseekers Benifit my mistake I said Allowance .
Did he apply for Jobseeker's Allowance once the Jobseeker's Benefit ran out? Was he refused due to the means test or something?

Yes Clubman when his benifit finished he asked about Jobseekers Allowance but was told that I earn over the limit for him to get any allowance.

Yes I just noticed before you posted.

I know how annoying it can be when people reply without reading the previous posts. (I did, just not thoroughly enough)

My apologies!

my 72 year old father got a job in b and q...if he wants a job..., it's not that hard! sorry if this seems harsh.

What an amazing da! I know B&Q in the UK champion their hiring of older people, citing their knowledge, commitment etc., I didn't know they had the same ethos here.

Just curious - does he have to work to make ends meet or does he choose to for other reasons?

Back