unemployment payment

levelpar

Hi My wife has been told that she should not have got unemployment (dole) for the past ten months because I was getting ,along with my state pension, a qualifying adult allowance (based on her part time work earnings when she was working) . Now they are considering claiming back the ten months money even though she told them at the time ( and filled out whatever form ) how much my pension and allowance was. Is this correct ?
The odd thing to me is instead of her getting unemployment paid for whatever credits she has, they are reducing the household income i to make up unemployment payment. Could someone also explain this

Basically, form what you say, you were piad a "Qualifed Adult Allowance" on your pension for your wife when she was not qualified as such as she was claiming in her own right. How did this come about? Did you notify the pension office that she was claiming benefit in her own right? Did she tell the local office that she was on your pension as a QAA when she claimed? If you did, then it is the department's fault and you should argue this as a reason for not paying it back. On the other hand, you now know that you got payment that you were not entitled to and the right thing to do would be to pay it back by small weekly reductions from your pension.

I don't understand why you say that you got QAA based on her part-time earnings :confused: . Is that what you mean? Maybe she was getting paid JB for the days she was not working?

I also don't understand the second part of your question. Can you expain it a little bit more?

Hi, She did tell the local office ,as she had to fill out some forms. Secondly, as she was working 10 or 12 hours weekly up to last year ,I got QAA based on her earnings . As we never had been involved in claiming anything, we would be guided by whatever we were told

I think the best thig to do is talk to whoever has told you about the overpayment adn ask them to explain how it could have occurred as you supplied all the information to them. I note you say they are "considering" raising an overpayment. So no decision has been made about its recovery yet adn they may not do so when they realise it was not your fault.

hi Thanks again for your reply. We will leave it til its sorted out. You learn something new everyday:confused:

Back