Unemployment Assistance

aislingkelly

Hi I recently applied for UA and got payment this week but only got 2 weeks whien i should hav got about 5weeks back pay from when i applied.My problem is the normal rate is e165.80 per week but because my boyfriend is earning aswell they r only gonna give me e110 a week.My boyfriend is only on e370 a week,he is still doin an apprentice.Fair enough he does help me out but what happens if we broke up in the morning???I dont think its very fair. Like he is only a boyfriend we are not married or anything. I know I can appeal but what grounds do i have if i did appeal?

but what happens if we broke up in the morning???
Then your circumstances will have changed and you can inform SW who can then reevaluate your claim.
I dont think its very fair. Like he is only a boyfriend we are not married or anything.
That is irrelevant. You are a couple and he's earning so that's what matters for the means test.
I know I can appeal but what grounds do i have if i did appeal?
Have you checked for details of the appeals process? Sounds to me like you would have little or no grounds for an appeal. Probably easier to just find a new job - there's lots of work out there these days. Also - working and building up a PRSI payment record will help avoid this situation in future since UB is PRSI linked and not means tested.

I can not go back to work at the min as i am after being in a car accident and waiting on seeing's a neurologist.My boyfriend is still an apprentice.We r currently building at the moment and do intend on staying together but nobody knows whats around the cornor.This is why what he is earning is not enough to keep us both goin?

Sorry i ment to add that a got a letter today,its not e110 im entitled 2 its e46.80.That is not very good.How can a person live on that??

If you are not able to work due to injury or disability then perhaps you are entitled to some disability welfare payment? Maybe contact your local to see if you are entitled to anything else?

In the circumstances it might be prudent to suspend building of the property (?) and live within your means/budget until you get back on your feet again?

Yes that would be the intelligent thing to do.But its kinda hard to stop building when we've already started!I dont think i am entitled to disability allowance as i have been on a self-employed contract with the past 3years so seemingly u can not claim this if ur self-employed

Yes that would be the intelligent thing to do.But its kinda hard to stop building when we've already started!
If continuing to build means that you will be living beyond your means and you cannot afford that at the moment then you need to make some hard choices NOW! Have a read of the many "dealing with debt" threads on AAM for a flavour of what you might be avoiding by deferring your plans. Where are you living at the moment while you're building?

So neither of you are under pressure to complete the build by the sounds of things so park it for the moment while you get back on your feet (literally and employment wise) and he gets qualified and you are both/collectively in a better place career wise and financially. Ultimately live within/below your means or face the inevitable consequences.

Ok i understand that but I still reakon 46euro a week is taking that piss,not that i want to milk the system but i hav never been on anything from the government before.U see people around u doin it with years,on the dole even though they r working etc and getting away with it and then i put in 4 a genuine claim cos i am totally skint and all they offer is 46 measly euro

Can you not work at all in your current situation? As a self employed contractor did you not have any income protection or permanent health insurance cover? I am asking not to rile you but to double check that you are not overlooking some obvious option here.

no i was on contracted with a company on a self employed basis thats all,didnt hav my own company or anything like that.It was as if i was working as an employee but i had to sort out my own tax at the end of each year!!It was a commission salary

Back