unemployed

N

newcomer

Hi all,
I am not sure what I should do. I was working for five years for the same employer up until the end of last year. I decided to quit my job as I was very unhappy with upcoming changes. I had some savings so i have been living off them till now. I still have not found a new job and was told by friends I should have signed on. I am out of work about 10 weeks now. Can i sign on even though I left the job? I am also paying a mortgage so can I claim for help with that. My husband is working full time and we have no kids.

Any advise would be be great.

thanks.

You should sign on now. You will probably not be able to backdate your claim but ask anyway. There are schemes for helping with mortgage repayments but I have no idea if they apply in this case. See [broken link removed] for more though.

I see no reason why you should not be able to backdate your claim if it is a valid claim. It is often at the officers discretions so be sure to push it ( politely).

Maximum backdating is 6 weeks according to this:
(c) Late Claims

A claim may be backdated for a maximum of 6 months where the person can prove to the satisfaction of the Deciding Officer or Appeals Officer that s/he satisfied the qualifying conditions throughout the period and that there was good cause for delay in making the claim. See also separate guideline "Claims and Late Claims" on Late Claims.

"Good cause" in this context would include any substantive reason for the failure to make a claim on time, e.g. death of a family member, or foreign holidays abroad where the person was unaware that they could have made a claim.

In all cases, without exception, the maximum period that a claim may be back-dated in this way is 6 months.
As far as I recall voluntarily leaving work can also cause your claim to be deferred for several weeks and I thought that this was for up to 9 weeks or so.

Anyway - as already mentioned best to just sign on and ask about backdating.

That says 6 months and just because you left voluntarily does not mean that it will be automatically deferred- just that it might. If you left for good reason it might not be deferred at all.

Last edited:
Back