Unemployed Shuttering Carpenter

chippy

Hi all,can you advice me please.Im 38 now and never have seen the construction industry here so bad.I am thinking about Australia as a possible destination as there is plenty of work in my field,plus i have family out there.Trouble is i think i may need trade papers which i dont have as i done my apprenticeship time on the building sites of England.My question,is there a way of getting my papers now with out having to do a 4 year apprenticeship with a builder and FAS,im just too long in the tooth now. Any advice most appreciated. Chippy

Hi Chippy,

I was in Oz in 2001 and worked for a shuttering firm in Melbourne. There are five states and they all have different rules regarding work. In Melbourne they were fairly strict and I need a card for almost everything, Union etc. I am not a chippie by trade and was never asked for papers. The mechainical and electrical trades are harder to get into as you have to do exams to prove compentence. I assume because of different regulations/safety and timber is timber the world over. I can PM you the firm I worked for if you wish.

We worked from 0730 to 1530 normal time and 1530 to 1730 time and a half, 5 days. Half day saturday doulbe time. Back in 2001 the money was just shy of a 1000 dollars a week.

BTW, regarding FAS papers, you can apply for a test where your work is examined and it is decided which level you are at. You will need as much evidence as possible to prove years of working.

Back