Unemployed and looking for advice on JB Allowance.

NickleIckle

Today is my first day of being unemployed - ever! A few things have come up that I wonder about ..

I was employed from 1/1/07 to 31/1/09. So I figured I was entitled to redundancy. I met with the shop's accountant (the shop where I was employed), and she said they weren't going to make a fuss over it, but I was actually a few days short of qualifying for redundancy because "of your few weeks off". The only "weeks off" I have had are my holidays which I was entitled to. :confused: Surely these don't count as breaks in employment?? Anyway, that's just a side point as they said I would get my 5 weeks redundancy anyway.

So I got my R50 signed, but the shop can't afford to pay me my redundancy now - so I have to apply from the Social Insurance Fund. I guess that will take a good few weeks?

So I go to the Social Welfare Office to sign on - I have read on the citizens information website whatever I can find out. I figured I was just shy of the €299 average earnings needed to claim the full amount of benefit, but I had my ID, my P45, my payslips, etc etc with me.

Unfortunately, they look at 2007s earnings, which are even lower, so I would only get the €132 a week, so she asked if I wanted to claim for JB Allowance and Benefit - as I would get whichever one came out as the higher amount.

I filled in the forms I was given, and that was it - she didnt ask for ID, p45 or ANYTHING at all - said I would get a visit from a welfare officer in the next few MONTHS, and if I couldnt pay the rent I could go to the hospital - and got up and walked off saying "that's all I can help you with".

So do I have to wait MONTHS to get anything at this stage?
Will I hear something in a few weeks asking for paperwork and delaying it even more?
Is there a way of checking how far they have got with your application?

Thanks for any input!!
NickleIckle

Re: Unemployed

You should be able to go to your Community Welfare Officer to get a sub until they decide on what amount you are entitled to receive.

As Gus said, you may be entitled to Supplementary Welfare Allowance while waiting on a decision on your jobseeker's claim - perhaps this is what the person in the local office meant by "going to the hospital"? You will find the Community Welfare Officer at your local health centre.

They're experiencing a huge increase in applications too, so be prepared for a bit of a queue I'm afraid!

Bring your P45 and ID and if you got any documentation from the local office to say you have signed on, bring that too.

Thanks for your replies.
Yes, the Community Welfare Officer does work out of the hospital, so that's probably what she meant!
Should I have got some documentation saying that I have signed on? I didn't get any paperwork from them at all?

All the info you need about the Supplementary Welfare Allowance is available here.

According to the website, you should bring with you (amongst many other things!!) a note from your local social welfare office and your last wages slip if you have just applied for Jobseeker's Benefit/Assistance.

Back