Underperforming New Ireland pension

Thanks for posting the link.

The pages I referred to commence with 'How to Minimize Investment Returns'

I'd say a well located property probably overseas is the best bet as an alternative.

I do seriously think pensions are not going to return over the coming years.

Anyone check their pension recently ? Happy with your returns over the last 5-10 years ? Please post if your fund is doing well.

Daddy,

Can I ask why you specifically say that pensions wont produce the returns over the next number of years? Pension contributions are usually invested in the same funds as savings, investments etc.

Have to say I'm very pleased with the performance of mine so far (only 2 years in), invested in Eagle Star Matrix funds.

Claire:

2 years too short a time frame and your after starting off with a big swing up in the markets.

I specifically think managed pensions will not perform because of Warren's reasoning. Did you read the article which was posted above ?
Would you be optimistic or pessimistic having read it!

Daddy:

Agreed, 2 years is too short a time frame.

I have read and can appreciate the article but it wouldn't sway me into the doldrums of despair quite yet.

Daddy

A pension fund can invest in property, overseas property and pretty much any asset that you care to mention.

To say that pensions will perform poorly and property will do well makes no sense.

Thanks for posting the link.

The pages I referred to commence with 'How to Minimize Investment Returns'

I'd say a well located property probably overseas is the best bet as an alternative.

I do seriously think pensions are not going to return over the coming years.

Anyone check their pension recently ? Happy with your returns over the last 5-10 years ? Please post if your fund is doing well.

I started a company pension in 2000 and it's over 50% above contributions so that's about 13%-15% annualised. With New Ireland to boot! Personally I'd prefer if it was lower as the units would be cheaper. The only price that really matters is when you move it to non equity as you near retirement so I think it's pointless until then, as is your house price until you try to sell it!

Hi all

Sorry for the silence, I was over in London for a week looking after me Da who was just out of the hospital.

I am 45 so I have between 15 and 20 years to retirement (please God...) but I certainly would not expect my income to necessarily go up any more, and my understanding is that I should be looking at medium risk funds at my age.

What I'm confused by is just how poor the New Ireland performance appears to be compared to the single lump sum pension funds I have with Aviva (they were originally 3 different pension providers, Norwich Union, Hibernian and CGU), Scottish Provident, Eagle Star and Standard Life.

Obviously because the New Ireland one is the largest and oldest (was an Equitable Life one that I used to make regular but variable payments too) it sticks out particularly badly but their performance really seems to be lousy compared to the others, several of which also predate 2000. That was why I was wondering if I should switch. I actually meant switch companies again - I did not know you could switch funds or whether that would be a good thing to do.

I will get in touch with New Ireland and try to find out some more about the actual funds and the other options available and post that here.

Thanks everyone for your advice.

Imogen

Back