Underpayment of tax in 2009

cathal79

Hi,
I recently switch from single assessment to joint assessment with my wife. We were married in October 2009 and previous to this had been living seperatly for family reasons.
We have one child and hence were getting a single parents tax credit and this credit remained until we cancelled it two months ago (genuinly we thought that once you were married it came off).

Since switching to joint assessment I just got a P21 balancing statement for 2009 which says I have an under payment of just over €2000.

I can't figure out how this is because the credit would have only been for €1830 per year and we were entitled to it until last October.

Has anyone any idea why this is? My earnings in 2009 were approx €50,600 before tax with tax payable of €6732. My paye credits including single parents credit and service charges for the year were €5890. I'm a bit baffled by this.

I'm sure we will have to pay if they are correct but and also wondering can I agree to say pay €40 per month? I certainly can't afford a lump sum payment or anything larger.

Thanks in advance

Hi,
I recently switch from single assessment to joint assessment with my wife. We were married in October 2009 and previous to this had been living seperatly for family reasons.
We have one child and hence were getting a single parents tax credit and this credit remained until we cancelled it two months ago (genuinly we thought that once you were married it came off).

Since switching to joint assessment I just got a P21 balancing statement for 2009 which says I have an under payment of just over €2000.

I can't figure out how this is because the credit would have only been for €1830 per year and we were entitled to it until last October.

Only deprnding on how you filed tax return online- Computer might not have picked up one parent or paye credit if not ticked
Has anyone any idea why this is? My earnings in 2009 were approx €50,600 before tax with tax payable of €6732. My paye credits including single parents credit and service charges for the year were €5890. I'm a bit baffled by this.

I'm sure we will have to pay if they are correct but and also wondering can I agree to say pay €40 per month? I certainly can't afford a lump sum payment or anything larger.

Thanks in advance

For 2009 the assessment should be
single parent
40,400*20%= 8080
10,200*41%=4182
Total Tax 12,262
less credits 5,890
paye paid 6,732
refund 360

Compare bands to notice of assement and post what the differences are.

Joint assessment should not really hit till 2010

Depending on how return was filed- Revenue computer might have not picked up on eparent credit or paye credit if not ticked

Last edited:
Back