Underground parking

Thrifty1

I own an apt in a complex with a large supermarket attached and an underground carpark.
I own the apt over 4 years and this carpark was always free parking for anyone. At last years AGM we received the accounts and were being charged for the cost of errecting barriers to the carpark with a view to it becoming pay parking.
Some residents objected as we would not be receiving the parking charges yet were paying for the barriers.
The builders agreed to cover the costs as they would be collecting the charges.
Anyway i didnt receive notice of the last AGM nor the minutes i requested and i just found out a barrier has been errected and pay parking is being introduced. I have just rented this apt (2 bed) to 2 tenants both of whom have cars and was literally rang by one of them 20 mins ago as she couldnt gain access to the car park without having to pay.
I contacted the agent and he said he will send me 1 pass. Now i obviously need 2 as both tenants have cars and will not be willing to pay charges that i havent mentioned.
Generally what happens here, AFAIR in my purchase contract it says im entitled to a car space.
The management company want to charge me €300 PA for it..
Also i pay a higher fee as i have a 2 bed apt

Two other issues, a valeting bay has been set up in the car park, would this be the builders decision, it takes up 4 spaces.
Two, the management agents are also the directors of the management company, would this constitute a conflict of interest?

Are you entitled to 2 spaces in your lease? This will be important. If you've only entitlement to one, you'll have to pay for the other, if this new system has been approved at the AGM.

RE: valeting bay - again if this was approved at the AGM, there's little you can do.

You say you didn't receive notification about the AGM - I would check with other owners. If no one received notification then it may not have been valid, but if you were just overlooked for whatever unfortunate reason, then there's probably nothing you can do.

Managing agents are not usually the directors but there's nothing to prevent it - unless the memos and articles of incorporation for the management company prevents it.

Back