Under stair storage

DeeKie

We have an overflowing shoe rack problem. She’s everywhere in the hall. I’m thinking of maximising our under stair cupboard by putting in some long pull out drawers.

This crowd popped up in my Instagram. Does anyone know them or have used them?

We have an overflowing shoe rack problem. She’s everywhere in the hall. I’m thinking of maximising our under stair cupboard by putting in some long pull out drawers.

Positive experience with smart storage. Process was very efficient, work was clean. Two things to think about is that the waste is left for you to dispose of and secondly, the material is MDF and finished but it will need second/third coat to finish properly. (No connection)

I've used smart storage twice, in my current house and the previous one. Both times they came on schedule and I'm very happy with the result. In the first case, he also took a lot of questions from my young lad about what and how they were doing and answered with patience. There was no waste left for me to dispose of in either case, so maybe it depends who is installing, as they are all independent contractors.

We have used smart storage, have it in under the stairs about 5 years now and there has never been an issue with it; a great solution to maximise storage

We got this guy to do ours, was cheaper and still a very good job 5+ years later:

Roughly how much are these under stairs storage systems?

I realise its a 'how long is a piece of string' question but are we talking hundreds or thousands?

My first unit cost approximately 900 (3 drawers with 2 door cupboard)and the second (6 drawers with 2 door cupboard) about 1250. It varies by the size of the opening mainly plus the units required.

I had half doors fitted and install adjustable shelving leaving enough room to walk in, this can be tailored to your requirements and adjusted if necessary.
Cost approx. €1,200

Used Smart Storage. Good, tidy job and would go to them again if needed.

Does anybody have a tall understairs storage (height approx 140cm) that is a pull out rather than just a door? I hope you know what I mean.

Does anybody have a tall understairs storage (height approx 140cm) that is a pull out rather than just a door? I hope you know what I mean.
Those are usually custom built to your space, but a single tall pull-out unit won't be a problem for any of the competent companies offering this service.

The trouble with pull outs you are limited to size you cannot put in example a ironing board or vacuum cleaner

The trouble with pull outs you are limited to size you cannot put in example a ironing board or vacuum cleaner
They can be fully customised to the needs, they're not like kitchen cabinets where most providers are limited to stock size units and doors. It's possible to size a tall unit to fit the vacuum and support the head and tube.

The height of the ironing board might present a challenge but if they can't fit a tall enough drawer for one they could fit a thin fixed door at the highest part.

This is a very expensive way of getting limited additional storage space, imho....

Sure, it looks nice and smart, but seriously, it's far too expensive, for what you get.

Last edited:
Back