Uncle giving site

Head-wrecked

Hi
An uncle of my husbands has offered us a small site in a very rural part of Wicklow. He is very old and has one child who will inherit the rest of his estate. I have a couple of questions.
1. Can he give us the site without payment?
2. We are willing to pay but he doesn't want money, might accept a nominal amount, is this allowed.
3. If we take the site and build a house it will be for holidays, is there any chance of getting planning, even for a small cottage.

Anyone have any advice.

1. Yes, as long as he is independently legally advised and is competent to do so.
2. Yes.
3. Local engineers might be able to give you the odds.

You will need to consider the Capital Acquisitions Tax (CAT) implications of this transaction. You will be liable to tax at 20% on the excess of the value of the site over €23,908, less whatever nominal sum you pay him for the land.

Hi Head-Wrecked,

I am nearly sure that Local Needs and Ocupancy clauses are pretty much conditions for any planning application in County Wicklow so that may affect your chances especially given that you are looking at building a holiday home.

Very lucky to be offered a site in Wicklow by the way, worth a lot of money - just have a look at

[broken link removed]

or

[broken link removed]

I know a couple of agents in Wicklow, let me know the area and I can suss out planning requirements etc..

Back