unauthorised eircom charges on visa

M

monquest

If you have an unauthorised charge of 60c on your credit card listed as "Eircom chgcard" don't panic! This happened to me and I was afraid someone had linked a chargecard to my credit card account and was terrified other (high) call charges would appear. Eircom have introduced a monthly charge of 60c to all chargeards - those things they were getting us to bring on hols years ago. I got one but never used it and now have been charged this fee. I contacted Visa who said that this was introduced without notifying customers individually and if you want to cancel the card and ask for a refund then phone 1800 580 580. That's all very well but I happen to be at the other side of the world and spent the last 15 mins (no 1800 number from here!) on international calls getting this 60c cent charge reversed. Have also asked for a contribution towards my phone calls - any bets how long I'll be waiting for that??

eircom scam

got my eircom bill yesterday. examined it for first time in yonks. There was a €1 euro charge on page two for two chargechards which I applied for 10 years ago, never used and lost long time ago. Reason I never used them was that there was a huge pin number required, and a warning not to leave pin with card as any calls used on it would be charged to home phone, regardless of how or by whom the calls were made. in the words of Tony Soprano they were a piece of This post will be deleted if not edited to remove bad language. A real nice Eircom employee informed me that customers would be written to and asked did they wish to continue to keep these cards and if so there would be a charge. Didnt say what they case would be of lost or destroyed cards. Suppose we could claim replacement ones and then return to them then. That would be silly but you never know with Eircom these days.

I see from today's Irish Times that eircom have got themselves into a spot of bother about this. They have billed more than 10,000 customers with this "charge card" charge before notifying them of it and according to the IT, "putting the error right is likely to cost eircom considerably more than the money it was intended to raise." :rolleyes

I raised this on AAM about a month ago! Why didn't y'all listen to me then?

Update,
Well, I got my transaction reversed and I did actually get a 5 euro call card in the post but... I am still being charged the monthly fee!

Back