Unable to find employment

click11

Hello
My hubby has been out of work now about 12 wks. Hes an engineer (mechinical) and has about 10 years experience.
Hes tried all the website for job and nothing. Hes only had a few interviews. Hes been looking all over the country too.
an anyone advice or help. As his wife and mum to 2 small boys Im really woried for our future.
thanks a million
C

Re: he cant get a job

Are you working at all? If not it may be a case that you start looking for work also as you may need one of you earning. Have you claimed all your entitlements while he's been out of work?

Has he registered with an employment agency?

In the meantime, regarding entitlements, citizens advice website is excellent for information on all allowances. You can also phone them and discuss any points and obtain advice on entitlements.

Hello
I am unable to work I suffer with a medical condition with causes ongoing pain, plus I have my children to look after.
Yes he has claimed unemployment benifit but its not enough to survive.
thanks
C
Are you working at all? If not it may be a case that you start looking for work also as you may need one of you earning. Have you claimed all your entitlements while he's been out of work?

Yes he is regisited with all the emplyment agents he can think of.
thanks for the help.
c
Has he registered with an employment agency?

In the meantime, regarding entitlements, citizens advice website is excellent for information on all allowances. You can also phone them and discuss any points and obtain advice on entitlements.

You should be entitled to Jobseekers benefit, fuel allowance, back to school allowance, mortgage interest supplement allowance or rent allowance, and medical card (see community welfare officer at your health centre). If your also ill you could be elligible to get the kids into a community creche very reduced rates, in some circumstances you can get assistance with this charge also (see health nurse at your health centre in the first instance)

Have you also downsized your expenditure and set a realistic budget for your outgoings?

Okay, but social welfare do not advise on the range of allowances available to you. The officer simply processes the claim available from their office. As already stated there is a wide range of benefits available at the health centre perhaps you are elligible? Worth double checking don't you think?

You should be entitled to Jobseekers benefit, fuel allowance, back to school allowance, mortgage interest supplement allowance or rent allowance, and medical card (see community welfare officer at your health centre).

Fuel allowance is only paid if you are on a long-term payment and Jobseeker's Benefit is not that.

Back to School Allowance and medical card are all means tested and depend of income into household.

yes, I know welfarite. Just trying to get the poster to check her entitlements properly!!

Have been in a similar situation. To have a few interviews in 12 weeks is not bad going, particularly given the season we are in with lots of people on holidays and not making decisions. I would advise focussing on the recruitment agents who seem to have a good knowledge and understanding of the work area. I found them to be hugely helpful. Really wish you the best of luck.

Has he considered upskilling with the BER coming out in Jan for all buildings there's a lot of activity in this area. There are quite a few courses out there. I appreciate it may be a bit of a change for him, but not that far off. I've given a link to one, but there are lots out there. I don't know enough to recommend one over another.

[broken link removed]

On the other side, is he being kept busy, getting up at 8am, etc... it's very easy to fall out of the routine. I'm thinking of two things here, firstly do some training. If I remember correctly (it was about 4 years ago I was looking at it), you can do online courses with fas. So as a mechanical engineer, he uses auto cad, etc... well are there other programmes he could do with learning. It shows a bit of and helps keep him focused. [This could be looking at the BER courses, some are online, or anything just to help keep focus]

Secondly would he consider shift work/evening work not in his profession as a temporary measure. There is the balance of how will this impact on his benefits. Personally I find being busy helps me to stay focused and get more done.

Its coming to winter at home. Sort out working holiday visa and go to Oz. No strings attached 12 months trial. Could claim alot of this years tax back to leave with in hand and there is tonnes of work here in building.

I know of an Irish guy who is over with 5 or 6 mechanical eng mates from Uni, all in jobs double quick. Im in const game too and there is plenty of good work here.

COuld be a great expericene even with or epecially with kids
I spent a few days on the dole ( after voluntarily leaving my job in fairness ) and just deciedd to come. Not sure will I be back :)

good luck regardless

Back