Unable to claim tax relief for PRSA AVC on Myaccount due to multiple publc sector employers

VOOVOO

I'm trying to claim tax relief for 2021 on MyAccount in respect of once off AVC payment into my AVC PRSA made this year in 2022.

I work in public service for the HSE but because of the nature of the job, I technically change employers frequently up to 2-3 times year and so therefore from Revenues POV, I have 3 employers listed on their system for last year for instance. I suppose technically my Single public service pension moves between each of them as I change jobs.

When I go to claim the tax relief for the AVC, the system makes me select only one of these employers for which the AVC PRSA relates. [I would have thought it relates to all of them?] It then limits my tax relief to the appropriate % of the pay from that employer only. If I try to enter the correct gross pay for the entire year, it tells me this is incorrect, as it has already prepopulated my pay from the employer where I worked for 3 or 6 months of the year. It will therefore only let me claim the tax relief for about half of the AVC I've paid.

It will only allow me to make the one AVC claim within the tax return so there doesn't seem to be any way around it by dividing it up or anything like that.

I have emailed revenue but I'm still waiting to hear back. Has anyone else encountered this issue? Any solution?

Last edited:
You situation is unusual and outside the parameters of what the programming in the site allows. Normally, you are only able to claim tax relief in relation to the income of any one employment. Yours will be a case of it having to be done manually. You will have to wait for them to come back to you or give them a call.

Thanks. Yeah, most of my colleagues who pay AVC's would have them through cornmarket and so the deductions + tax relief is all sorted from salary.
I imagine my situation doesn't arise very often. I will give revenue a call on Monday.

Back