Umbrella Company Director: Foreign hotel?

shrinn

I was speaking to a contactor in Europe recently, who has his own company in his country.

He was able to use his company to pay for accommodation when travelling abroad for a week (vouched receipts) and also receive an overnight subsistence allowance. Is this possible here?

Most info I see says that it's one or the other (receipts or flat rate) but it's not clear to me if there is a different case for overseas travel. I travel to a city where a €150 per night hotel is the cheapest option. Lunch is €15 and dinner is €20.

This post from 2011 says there is indeed a second set of rates for foreign travel, but not sure if that still exists or not: https://www.askaboutmoney.com/threads/subsistence-payments.149064/post-1121928

The accounting company I'm using does recommend that I submit hotel booking documents when claiming flat-rate overnight subsistence, but only to prove that I actually was away (rather than to reimburse the cost on a vouched receipt basis).

Are there separate rates for foreign travel still?

The subsistence flat rate in his country was not intended to cover the hotel, only meals. He was not allowed to claim it if the hotel cost included meals. No fraud.
Your question was

He was able to use his company to pay for accommodation when travelling abroad for a week (vouched receipts) and also receive an overnight subsistence allowance. Is this possible here?

Just keep your receipts and get them paid backed as vouched expenses.
Thanks. I'll do that next time.

I assume then that even if I do vouched expenses, it's not capped at the civil service rate? (as I read on another post).

And also assuming that there are no longer separate domestic and foreign overnight rates, and it's all the one now?

Back