Ulster Ulster tracker appeal - how long does it take?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Technically it should take a maximum of 3 months. As soon as your appeal is received by BDO your file is forwarded back to Ulster Bank for their review and response. They have 20 business days in which to respond to BDO and then BDO write back to you.
After that I'm in darkness about what is meant to happen because my 20 business days has just passed so I'm expecting contact this week or early next.
I'm assuming that due to the volume/complexity/scope of the appeals that maximum term of 3 months could be as much as 6 months.

Hi there, do you mind me asking what you sent away with your appeal pack?? Did you have to provide bank statements over the relevant years to show overdraft position or financial struggle??? Currently trying to fill out appeal form

I basically sent mortgage statements from current bank, valuation at time of move, any copies of ulster bank communication. I didnt send any current acc statements as claiming appeal on grounds if moving because tracker was not given back. Not my private principle residence now.

I didn't send bank statements as my accounts are with Ulster Bank. I did send extensive copies of unanswered correspondence, GP reports, documents relating to our appeal etc. I laid it out very clearly in a bullet point form and then attached the correspondence. The appeals form is wholely unsuitable for somebody who wants to lay out an appeal, it's designed for brevity - which my appeal is not.

I am taking a different approach. Via my solicitor I made an application to the Personal Injuries Board knowing that they cannot make an award for the stress caused etc. The Board can however issue a letter of authorisation which gives permission to peruse the Bank through the Courts for damages. We shall see what happens.

Just keep this updated. Here is approximately where I have progressed so far, they operate by business days so obviously allow for weekends and bank holidays:

Day 0: Submit appeal to Independent Secretariat (BDO)
Week 1: Acknowledged by BDO, letter saying that the bank now has 20 days to respond to my appeal, and they will be back in touch.
Week 5: Letter from BDO saying that they have no further update. I rang BDO asking what the situation is as the letter was without substance. BDO informed me that they had received the bank's response but they allow a further week to process it their end before they send it on to me.
Week 6: I receive the bank's response via BDO.
Week 7-8: I have 2 weeks to respond to BDO about the bank's response. If I elect not to respond within that time my case goes directly to the appeals panel.

@SaySomething I presume, if you do reply, it goes back to the bank for reply - it's a bit like the FSPO process would you say?
It actually doesn't say that in our letter. It just says if you want to submit a reply please do so within 10 business days of the date of this letter. I suppose this is the reason why I started updating this post because it's all so darned unclear.

Hi all, I just received my letter from bdo with the reply from ulster bank and I am more confused now than ever. Do we need to reply to that letter or what is the next step? They really love to confuse people.

Sorry @SaySomething i see your post above now. So when we dont reply it automatically goes to appeals panel. Im sure we are talking months before we hear back from that!!

Sorry @SaySomething i see your post above now. So when we dont reply it automatically goes to appeals panel. Im sure we are talking months before we hear back from that!!
The short answer is yes if you don't reply it goes automatically to appeals. They take a preliminary look at your file and then give BDO a list of items required to make a determination. They then communicate it to you and you have 20 working days to respond.
*this is where we are right now*
They've actually asked for full disclosure on all our finances, P60's, and statements of receipt from Social Welfare dating back to the time we lost our tracker.

@elcato we did provide them with proof of many of the details of our complaint (including medical reports). The mortgage file includes a number of SFS (standard financial statements for mortgage reduction calculations) which the bank used for their risk assessments, payslips, details of social welfare payments etc. However, they have asked for further information from our employers and Social Welfare. I'm in the process of collating all of it before sending it back.

I would say that if we were to go to court all of this information would be required in any event so for anybody considering that route this will give you an idea of the amount of paperwork and background research involved in compiling your case. As the appeals panel is a 'free bite of the cherry' it's well worth your while going through this process either way. If you are successful and happy then your hard work has paid off. If not, and you decide to take matters further, your file is assembled and good to go.

Anyone hear back from BDO regarding their appeal?
Just wondering if anyone thought the process was beneficial and that the outcome was what they were hoping for ;)

Hi I did hear back, appeal is completed. My appeal was not upheld. Reason being they feel everything was covered within our redress and compensation (we received the minimum amount of compensation). I sent my appeal pack in July got letter yesterday.

I'm still waiting. I was advised that it was to be reviewed by the panel last week but haven't heard anything since. It could take up to another week before we get correspondence about the outcome I reckon.

@Mortub2005 I am stunned. You would have been one of the borrowers who also ended up in the MARP while being charged the wrong rate. How did they justify their decision?

We just got a letter after my raising an issue with them. The long and the short of it is that the Independent Secretariat does not have a copy of the mortgage files and simply has a copy of the compensation letter provided to them by Ulster Bank.

I quote:

We do not have access to any information or documentation unless it is provided to us by either party to an appeal.

I'm adding this post in here to warn any other mortgage holders who have appealed to Ulster Bank as the fact that the secretariat doesn't have access to the mortgage file is not made clear from the outset.

Thankfully I was able to clarify this before our appeal was assessed and I'm going to ensure that the appeals panel has access to the full mortgage file in time.

@SaySomething i cannot believe that they do not have access to our full file??? I was sure they would have all of that in front of them. Their reason to me was that there was an overpayment made in error when redressing me and they are not going to look to reclaim that amount??? Not sure how they could have made a big mistake like that when doing their calculations. We are still in Marp i have been trying to come out of it for so long now and getting nowhere was onto them again today. Anyway i have finally run out of steam with UB, I have never dealt with anyone like them. We are overpaying at the moment as our payment arrangement is more than our monthly mortgage amount and still they can't remove the arrangement. We would never have had to go into the arrangement if we had of had the tracker rate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back