Ulster bank tracker redress

somewoman

Hi all
I’m very late coming to the discussion for help/advice on this but I’ve only been made aware in the last few weeks we have been affected. I’ll try to make this short but we have three mortgages with UB all originally taken out as trackers. One home and 2 buy to let’s. We then fixed the mortgages back in 2008. We were struggling but always paid the 5% repayments. In July 2011, we got a call from UB to say we were not going to be able to continue paying these. We thought they were mad but rent rates were cut hugely in the coming budget and the problems began. We contacted them on a number of occasions to try to get out of our fixed rates but to no avail. Finally we got into huge arrears and eventually after many meetings we capitalised our arrears and finally at the end of 2012, they returned us to a tracker rate of 1.15%. The stress of nearly loosing our home caused many health problems and I was diagnosed in cancer in 2013 which I have always put down to the stress of this. Anyway despite my still being on chemo, we got back on our feet financially and were able to trade up to a bigger house in 2019. I always queried why we hadn’t been affected by the tracker scandal. Anyway I put in writing last September and was told November 2020, we were not included. However a few weeks ago I got a call to say we actually should have been included and received cheques for €10K, €5k and €5 for each of the properties. They have also reverted 2 of the remaining properties to 0.75%interest rate. I am very aware that we are so lucky in comparison to some people who lost their homes, marriages and lives but still feel so aggrieved by our treatment and my health problems. Wondering if anyone has heard recently that they were affected or if anyone had any help or advice as I’d really like to appeal but obviously with my health not great, I’m afraid to take on more stress. Thanks

It sounds like you've been through the mill of things.
I'll be very honest with you, if stress is a factor to consider and you can afford to then I'd say walk away now OR engage somebody to deal with the bank on your behalf. The stress of dealing with the Appeals process and subsequently the FSPO is huge (and we are still in the FSPO process).

I had a similar experience and hired Padraic Kissane to work on my behalf for the appeal. Very happy with the outcome. It took c.2 years though so don't expect a quick outcome.

I did lose a property so maybe it was an easier door to push open. But he'll advise you if you have a case.

Back