Ulster Bank to offer €150 to switch your current account

Yes, about 6 weeks ago at a guess!
Why 6 weeks ago? The offer was extended to the end of April and they were planning to pay the €150 to new account holders at the end of May according to what was on their website up to yesterday.

Mine was supposed to be there by the end of April, but it showed up on May 4th. I'll let it pass, just this once... ;)

Why 6 weeks ago? The offer was extended to the end of April and they were planning to pay the €150 to new account holders at the end of May according to what was on their website up to yesterday.

In one of the papers last weekend, Saturday's indo I think, there was a flyer, stating that the offer was open until the end of May.

I can't remember the exact dates but a couple of weeks after my salary entered the account (which was the criteria for the payment IIRC) I got the €150.

UB are doing this offer again. It's a handy/easy €150. I opened an account, didn't switch from my main PTSB current account, declined the offer of any cards involving SD payments and mandated my salary to be paid and used online banking to transfer it back over to my main PTSB account and got the €150. Thereafter I mandated my salary to be paid back to my PTSB account and don't really use the UB account at all now and will probably close it at some point. :)

It's a handy/easy €150.

How long did it take to assemble your documentation, fill out the forms, wait in the branch for processing, change your salary mandate, and then do the necessary transfers? Did you have to take time off work to visit them?

How long did it take to assemble your documentation, fill out the forms, wait in the branch for processing, change your salary mandate, and then do the necessary transfers?
Not long - probably an hour all told.
Did you have to take time off work to visit them?
No - I dropped in on the way to work one morning.

The conditions are now tighter.
"5. In order to be eligible for this offer, customers must use their new Current Account as their "main account" for a period of 18 months from the date of account-opening. This means that the customer's salary / wages must be paid into the new Ulster Bank Current Account on a weekly/ fortnightly / monthly basis depending on the frequency the customer is paid. "

There was also a condition(not in the T&Cs) that said you have to make ATM transactions on the account. Hence I ordered an ATM card. But now that I see the T&Cs on the website! I will call back.

Slim

Better again:

Ulster Bank have refused to accept Mrs S's application for the "Switch" on the basis that she is not actually switching an account.[She has no salary mandate at the moment and would be willing to open an Ulster Bank account and mandate the salary]. This is despite their helpline stating last Friday that merely opening the account and mandating the salary would qualify her! They have also informed me that I would have to switch all SOs and DDs to qualify for the €150. Still thinking about it!

Slim

customers
...must use their new Current Account as their "main account" for a period of 18 months from the date of account-opening.
[...] have to switch all SOs and DDs to qualify for the €150.
Wow, that's quite a row back from the original Ts & Cs.

Terrible to think of consumers taking advantage of the poor banks like that! ;)

as a former employee of UB, the only term is that your salary must be manadated

you dont need to switch...this was originally an offer for a month (march) that has been rolled out.

as a former employee of UB, the only term is that your salary must be manadated

you dont need to switch...this was originally an offer for a month (march) that has been rolled out.

smurfette

I can assure you I argued the point and had it checked and have a letter "thanking" me for bringing the misinformation from their helpline to their attention. T&Cs are tighter now.

Slim

I wish I could recommend the Ulster Bank but the level of service seems to have gone down since further integration with the parent bank in England.

The free banking thing comes at a cost of increased charges and no mercy if you havent got enough to pay a dd - the day before its due.
Lets say you know you have a dd coming out on a certain day. Even if you place funds in your account on that day the dd's will still bounce because UB insist the money must be in the account the day before the dd is due. If credits and debits hit your account on the same day UB now process the debits before the credits thus hoping something will bounce.

With regard to applying for a credit card, loan or overdraft - everything goes to be processed in England where they take for ever, correspond by post only, dont talk to your own branch, write back asking for stupid things, and eventually lose everything.

Sometimes there is more to chosing a bank then a quick cash offer.

Back