ulster bank - stay clear

laus99

i warn anyone to stay well away from ulsterbank. i have had mainly bad experience with them. they often conduct themselves in a very unprofessional manner. they often prove to be unhelpful. simple matters, simple facts they pretend not to comprehend. they have decend, nice and helpful staff among them, but when push comes to shove, they seem the biggest bunch of imbecciles i have come accross at any bank in my life.

(in this particular case, i have last year closed my current account with them, and end of the year my credit card as well. 3 direct debits for the credit card from my new current account went through without problems.
but the final one didnt. they charged me late payment fee and claim the direct debit was rejected by my new bank.
my new bank said they never received an attempt of ulsterbank for this direct debit. they tried to speak to ulsterbank and ulsterbank refused to speak to them! they say they dont speak to other banks!
i wrote to ulsterbank to request evidence of the refused direct debit, today i received a letter off them with no name on it, containing a copy of a note regarding the refused DD - of a totally different bank that i have no business with. they still think i am responsible for the late payment.
i called them to ask if i can now finally have my letter of confirmation of stamp duty payment, and the balance with the late payment fee removed,
but at first they werent willing or able to understand that the direct debit had been requested from the wrong bank..eventually after a long wait on hold, my call was cut off.
now this todays experience with them is fully in line with my usual experience of ulster bank. they have made a lot of errors in my time (was with them well over 5 years), i would say a lot more errors than should be acceptable, and they have been very reluctant to admitting to them and sorting them out.

For every bad story there'll be a good story, my dad is with UB and swears by them! - Every bank will make mistakes and not everybody will be happy but that's life!;)

If you have complaints against them that they cannot resolve then get a final response letter from them and take the matter to the [broken link removed].

For what it's worth I have never had any problems with them in my (admittedly limited to date) dealings with them.

I echo Clubman.
I also never ever had any problem/complain regarding Ulster Bank services. been with then 9 years i think.

Just as further information: my mortgage broker had serious administration problems with them when we took out a tracker mortgage with them 4 years ago - lost documentation, incorrect delivery instructions, no confirmtaion of receipt of documentation or phone calls, amongst others.

However, since that was sorted, and whenever I dealt with them, I have found them polite and efficient, especially when they dropped my rate to 0.75% above ECB when I complained about my rate last year. I don't have a current account with them, just a mortgage.

I would accept that all banks have slip-ups, but I've had more than my fair share with Ulster Bank- applied for loans with them - on off chance that I would need finance- never took up offers etc and they became annoyed! When I complained, they even couldn't find details of my most recent loan on their system... They issued a Final Response Letter- and 2 addendums due to errors on same- appears they have a stock-pile of response and they normally get away with using one from a template- well not in this case!

Complained to Ombudsman and he tried to say he had investigated the complaint (within an usually short 2 week time-frame!). I note elsewhere on this site that up to 6 months or more is common... In any case, he didn't want to know that the original 'Final Response Letter' was not in fact complete- hence the 2 additional letters.

Is it all a 'game'????????

P.s. I have all the relevant letters and will be happy to send copies to anyone interested.

i used to work for a bank and i must admit, bank staff sometimes make mistakes, but not on purpose! i did notice, a lot of people have it in for their bank, nothing seems to satisfy them at the end before the switch. but since iv left the bank and met some people who gave me 'grief' over the counter (one of the reasons you would leave a job!) they have said the other bank was just as bad! i think bank bashing is a big pastime in ireland... and sometimes i would agree with some if it, but some of it is uncalled for... and to cut a long story short, to say, stay away from ulster bank... its a big genaralisation to make for one or two errors.

Hi BadSanta

I agree fully that it is bad to generalise in such scenarios- but when i actually had such a frequency of errors with Ulster Bank- i had to step back and take stock. I complained and rather that receive an immediate apology- when it was 'black and white' that errors had occurred- the bank simply put up all their barriers! And the Complaints Manager in Dublin simply wrote 'i apologise' and that was it- surely if a true custome focus was taken, more than 'i apologise' would be given- for example, she refused to take calls or return my calls- maybe she is particularly busy with similar customers!! So no generalisation intended- just my story...

I'm sure you know what the correct way to handle such complaints is?

Laus99

I would make an access request under the Data Protection Acts from Ulster Bank and get copies of all data/ documentation held by them (including telephone calls). It'll cost 6.35 euro and they have 40 days (i think) to send on the data.
www.dataprotection.ie

Send request with fee and details of accounts (ref. numbers/ names/ addresses/ etc and state any unknown so they can trace) to:
Data Protection Manager
Group Regulatory Risk
Group Head Office
Ulster Bank
11-16 Donegall Square East
Belfast BT1 5UB
Tel.: 028 90275879/ fax 028-90276387
www.ulsterbank.com

or if you don't want to pay for a stamp...
Data Protection Manager
Group Regulatory Risk
Ulster Bank
FREEPOST
PO Box 145
Dublin 2
Tel.: 01 7025351/ Email: [email protected]

(Make sure you send by registered post, or at least get a cert. of posting- in case it gets mislaid- 2 of my friends had that problem)

Even if it doesn't help your cause, it'll be an interesting read/ listen- Better than some of the Sunday papers!

I note even the Data Protection Commissioner had difficulties in corresponding with the same bank over a semi-unrelated matter as noted here [broken link removed] (Ulster Bank: Excessive information sought from new customers)

On a lighter note check here for IBOA news re. problems at the same bank- even the staff have problems, so if you're not a happy customer, remember you might end up complaining to someone who is equally unhappy unfortunately...
[broken link removed]

Below a previous post which I made. Guess which Bank ??? Have written again and still no reply. So don't anybody tell me that its rare for institutions to make a mistake and then continue making the same mistake.

'Took out a Sterling Loan in 2000. Made my annual repayments as was called for in Years 1 and 2. No further call in Year 3 and files placed in storage. No statements ever received. Received telephone call at end of Year 4 demanding full repayment, which I was caught on the hop as I had genuinely forgot. I referred to my past correspondence as I never had a statement or an account number for the Loan. Called to a meeting with the Bank and they agreed the Bank made an error. They then agreed to freeze the interest as long as I made the payments. I did this and each time I made a payment, sent a cheque and a letter requesting the correct account number and statements as per the Banking Code of Practice. Started receiving statements for 6 months showing a Credit balance. Wrote again requesting up to date statement - received nothing. A further two years has gone and I am now awaiting for a further verbal showdown with the Bank as frankly I do not know the balance at the moment. Problem is that they took a first charge on a Life Insurance Policy at the start of Loan. They agreed to lift this charge at the meeting (and put in writing with new facility letter) and I have written to the Head Office (registered Post) a number of times, but the charge still in place. Unless I receive all the Statements I refuse to make further payments. However now want to have charge on Life Policy lifted. Any suggestions from anybody.'

Complained to Ombudsman and he tried to say he had investigated the complaint (within an usually short 2 week time-frame!). I note elsewhere on this site that up to 6 months or more is common... In any case, he didn't want to know that the original 'Final Response Letter' was not in fact complete- hence the 2 additional letters.
The FSO's complaints process is crystal clear on this matter - they will not deal with any complaint until you have received this letter from the institution involved. Not their fault if some people don't bother reading their rules. I have my doubts about them asserting that they had investigated a complaint when this letter was not initially presented to them.

That is all very good Clubman. But I have sent letters of complaint to both Ulster Bank’s Dublin and Belfast HQs. I am still waiting for a reply 4 years later. They spent a lot of money in advertising to win by personal custom, which they have now lost and I have seem them spend a hell of a lot more time and money trying to get companies to change over to them. It’s their own loss, if they don’t look after their personal customers, word of mouth will stop them winning new business.

While is is unreasonable to expect that banks will never make a mistake, it is how they resolve the problem and IMO, Ulster Bank are particluarly bad at dealling with issues when they arise. We had had a number of small issues and then a biggie - basically they lost a sizable foreign cheque. They tried everything to put the blame on me, my foreign bank etc. We had to do all the running, numberous phone calls, letters etc. Finally got the chq cashed (and it was their error) but as the rate had changed significantly there was a loss on the rate of exchange (oh, and a very sizable fee for handling the chq!). Once again, had to start on phone calls, letters. Got it sorted in the end but it took close to 3 months and endless hassle for what should have been a very straight forward transaction. Went into the bank the next day and siad I wanted to close my account....suddenly they wanted to know what the problem was and could they help!

Over the years I have had dealings with most of the various banks and my experience with Ulster was by far the worst. All small stuff but very frustrating, lost documentation, cards not working, couldn't get pin #, no statements. This was all compounded by a useless online banking system which meant I had to interact with them more than I would have wished.
Finally I gave up and moved my business to NIB and have no regrets.

Best of luck in sorting out your problems. Keep records of everything.

I have been a customer of UB for around 15 years. Had none of the problems listed throughout this thread. Find them very efficient.

i too have been with ulster bank a long time. i have never had any problems with them. tbo, i wouldn't be with anyone else.

It's good to read good comments too about Ulster Bank. When problems arise in any financial services provider, the aim should be to resolve same within the shortest time- obviously when delays occur, the problem often becomes more complicated/ confused (i.e. complaints about the 'complaints procedure' etc). It is regrettable that any customer would need to make sustained complaints over 4 years-

Anyone need advice- PM me- I am not working for the bank! or any others...

I've been with UB for almost 18 years and you couldn't pay me to change. I find them very good - if there's any issues i usually get a phone call. I've applied for short terms loans (one month) and no difficulties. I once had an account in BofI and they practically drove me to drink so I'm very happy with my current service

I've been with UB for almost 18 years and you couldn't pay me to change.
Funny - UB paid me (€150) to open a current account with them which is now only used intermittently (this was the offer before they required you to commit to using the account as your "normal" current account for c. 18 months). :)

Just as further information: my mortgage broker had serious administration problems with them when we took out a tracker mortgage with them 4 years ago - lost documentation, incorrect delivery instructions, no confirmtaion of receipt of documentation or phone calls, amongst others.

However, since that was sorted, and whenever I dealt with them, I have found them polite and efficient, especially when they dropped my rate to 0.75% above ECB when I complained about my rate last year. I don't have a current account with them, just a mortgage.

Hi efm,
Interested when you mentioned your getting 0.75%, they charge me 0.95%. What's your LTV ? Might have a go trying to get down to your rate.

Back