Ulster Bank - New charges?

SoylentGreen

I maintain a current account in the Ulster Bank with a substantial credit balance.
I usually call to my local branch about once a month to pay my utility bills. Gas, ESB and Telephone. I usually debit my current account to pay each bill.
Today I called to the Blackrock branch and as I presented my bill I was told that there would be a 51c charge to pay on each bill.
When I queried these charges it was clear that the cashier was unsure of her ground and immediately backed off.
Can anyone clarify for me if this is correct? Are branch customers now being charged this fee for doing a transaction in the branch (I am not talking about direct Debits) or is it just for non customers walking in off the street that are being charged?
Also if you maintain a credit balance in your account does this have any bearing on the situation?

Thanks pudds. I hadn't seen that thread. I would have thought that as a long standing UB customer that I would have received some sort of notification from them about introducing fees. I get a bank statement every month so I imagine it would have been easy enough to include a leaflet explaining the new charges.
I went on to their website yesterday but couldn't find anything anywhere to say that there would be a 51c charge to pay a utility bill.
Is this something that is about to be introduced or was it an incompetant staff member who hadn't bothered to read the Memo on bank charges properly?

Ulster bank Stillorgan asked me the other day for c50c when paying my paper gas bill across the counter. I maintain my current account with them.

There was always a charge when paying bills at the counter although this was often not passed on to a customer but almost always to a non customer, as I recall it was a charge for making a credit transfer payment, the staff are not trying it on.

Back