Ulster Bank has advised current account customers to start moving their accounts now

AIB were carrying out all checks including CCR for me moving the credit card. Expect them and others to do same especially if an overdraft facility is involved as per what RedOnion indicates

AIB were carrying out all checks including CCR for me moving the credit card. Expect them and others to do same especially if an overdraft facility is involved as per what RedOnion indicates
Just for completeness, all lenders are required by law to carry out a CCR check for all credit applications in excess of 500 euro. That includes overdrafts, credit cards, paying your car insurance by installment etc.

If you are not applying for credit, then they've no reason to complete a CCR check.

Would an adverse credit rating impact trying to open a current account with BOI or AIB? Without an overdraft.
I can reassure you that my experience confirms what the other posters have said. As I posted elsewhere, AIB gave me an appointment to visit a branch to open my new accounts. I turned up on the day and the AIB rep opened the current and deposit accounts without leaving my presence and the accounts were open and available online instantly. Note that I did not require an overdraft nor was this mentioned and there was no mention of CCR or any other credit checking at any point.

Totally different the following day when I completed the Credit Card application over the phone. Plenty of mention of credit checking there.

Ulster Bank briefs rivals on account closure plans ahead of exit

Interesting article in the Irish Times. This caught my eye “The spokeswoman said the bank strongly encourages customers “not to leave it until the last minute to avoid possible bottlenecks of account opening activity in the second half of 2022””

Or as Brendan put it earlier in this thread

There is going to be a rush for the door and if you experience problems Ulster Bank will be overwhelmed and unable to resolve it timely.

The other banks will also be overwhelmed by applications for new accounts, so there may be long queues.

So get your skates on.

Brendan

And

Wow. There is going to be mayhem next year.

People are not going to have their accounts closed in time and they will get cheques for the balance but won't have anywhere to lodge them.

Brendan

At the time I thought Brendan was being overly dramatic. Based on my experience with UB, AIB and BOI when moving my accounts over the last few weeks it may actually be that Brendan was understating the chaos that lies ahead.

Perhaps part of the people of that the lions share of those looking to move Banks, are going to AIB or BoI, so putting additional pressure on both? Perhaps more should be done to make people aware of all of their options, and help them identify which provider would be the best match for them (ie Credit Union or An Post might be better for those wanting more over the counter interaction etc)

My Husband went into ulster bank today to close accounts and to cancel credit card. Large queue of people, so very busy. Credit card can only be closed over phone. Bank also closed 12-2 pm for lunch and when my husband went back after lunch with signed forms there was a queue of 18 people.

We have completed our move to AIB but ulster bank may struggle to cope with moving accounts if people delay.

My Husband went into ulster bank today to close accounts and to cancel credit card. Large queue of people, so very busy. Credit card can only be closed over phone. Bank also closed 12-2 pm for lunch and when my husband went back after lunch with signed forms there was a queue of 18 people.

We have completed our move to AIB but ulster bank may struggle to cope with moving accounts if people delay.
I won’t set foot into the branch. started to slowly move my banking to BOI, but no rush.
why did you (your husband) find it necessary to go in person?

Need to physically sign forms to close accounts. Had to provide ID etc. I didn’t go, even though we have one joint account. He brought form home and I signed it at home. Husband was annoyed that it could not be done online, and scans of ID provided, so he must have checked it out.

Plus he was keen to not have credit card active in 2022 when he had no need for it, and he did not want to be hit with the government levy.

I cancelled my Ulster Bank credit card using their app. In order to close a savings account and current account they advised that I can go into the branch or write to them.

I have already emptied the accounts so I think I will just wait until they leave Ireland and close them themselves.

I have already emptied the accounts so I think I will just wait until they leave Ireland and close them themselves.
I think that's the way I'll probably approach it, too.

Once they start issuing the letters, giving advance notice of account closure, I'll open an account elsewhere, set up the standing orders etc. Then, drain the UB account. They'll automatically close it, at some stage, after the notice period ends....

I suppose a variation of the above is to put a letter instructing the account closure into one of their branches, but I don't see any need to queue for that, it can just go in their postbox.

Last edited:
I cancelled my Ulster Bank credit card using their app. In order to close a savings account and current account they advised that I can go into the branch or write to them.

Exactly! They are the ones leaving and inconveniencing their customers. Hell will freeze over before I'd bother going into a branch merely to suit them. Or even writing a letter for that matter. Their problem; their creation. They can sort it out themselves.

Hi folks

I agree that you should not queue for ages to close your accounts.

But, if it's a straightforward visit to a branch to complete the paperwork and tidy up everything, you should do it.

You don't want a situation in a few years where you are applying for a loan only to find some unfinished business in Ulster Bank because they continued to apply charges to an unclosed account.

Brendan

How do you cancel credit card with the app?. I don't see an option to cancel.

How do you cancel credit card with the app?. I don't see an option to cancel.
I didn't close mine via the app, but a quick phone call did the job. They already know the reason why people are closing so no issue. But they do slap on the government levy at closing.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2021-12-31-19-33-55-847_com.rbs.mobile.android.ubr.jpg
    Screenshot_2021-12-31-19-33-55-847_com.rbs.mobile.android.ubr.jpg
    319.2 KB · Views: 179
Just popped down to my local EBS to open one of the Moneymanager accounts as c/a alternative and apparently they are not opening any accounts for month of January, come back in February! So much for organising myself in New Year :D

Called then to UB to do a withdrawal and turns out they have very limited hours today as operating on a staff of 2 due to Covid issues, that's a seriously small staff to try and keep a branch open on, security even I would have thought would be an issue.

Hopefully by February things will have improved in every way.

Back