Ulster Ulster Bank 'further redress" for a tracker restored 5 years ago!

Karro77

Hi,

I was put back on my tracker in 2013 after a very long and difficult battle with UB which I've yet to forget!! I received a letter today stating that we are entitled to 'further redress and compensation'. As the central bank weren't involved back then, we didn't get a cent in compensation. We did get our overpayments for 5 years back and a capital amount for the additional amount which should have been paid off our balance. I'm just wondering if anyone else in the same situation has gotten a follow up letter outlining what the redress and compensation is based on?

Obviously I know how lucky I am that we have our tracker and repayments back so I will let this run its course as will happily wait for whatever this is. I haven't forgotten the distress and frustration of not being sorted out. Nonetheless I'm intrigued and any amount is very welcome!!!

I got a letter stating the exact same today. I was put back on my tracker in 2015 and overpayments refunded but not without a battle and at considerable cost for help with my case.

Same here. We got the letter today. The amazing thing about this is that they have known these accounts were impacted as they already dealt with them but it has taken this long to to admit it. When they relented on this a few years ago there was no admission of fault it was simply out the goodness of there hearts. We fought tooth and nail to get that back. This was a sub mortgage, still waiting for news of the main mortgage which they never returned to tracker. The battle continues....

Actually that's interesting my letter stated 'sub-mortgage' and I had never heard the term from them but we only have our original mortgage? No top up or anything but the original amount borrowed in 2006?

I am in same situation as Karro77 and diver. Got my tracker/refund back in 2013 after a year long battle. I however have had no correspondence from them re any compensation.
Just wondering Karro77 did you contact them recently about whether you were due compensation or was this a bolt out of the blue?

Thanks,
Maggs

We must have been battling together. I will never forget the stress. No I hadn't contacted them, had been on my mind but hadn't done it yet so the letter was a surprise. 3 friends werr the exact same time scales as me and none of them got the letter yesterday so I'm sure it' being done in tranches. I'l update this when any of them get a letter.

I'm dying to know now. It always bothered me that they didn't pay a penny compensation to us bar a tiny goodwill gesture. I'm wondering if it's 12 per cent on the lot or maybe just overpayments??

Same here. We got the letter today. The amazing thing about this is that they have known these accounts were impacted as they already dealt with them but it has taken this long to to admit it. When they relented on this a few years ago there was no admission of fault it was simply out the goodness of there hearts. We fought tooth and nail to get that back. This was a sub mortgage, still waiting for news of the main mortgage which they never returned to tracker. The battle continues....

I'm in same situation and got letter yesterday. Phoned and no decision on my main Account.

Also confusion on letter issued as it has new updated Main Mortgage Ac and sub Account numbers

You obviously have two separate accounts banking17? I don't know why they stated sub account on mine? I'l ring later. Was thinking I would get nowhere. Any idea on when the next letter will follow? I'm sure not knowing them

Just rang on my lunch so your main account is called sub account and any top would be sub account 1,2,3 etc. As we have just the original amount it's called a sub account.

No timescale beyond now and end of June. Whenever I hear back anything or any friends get letters I'll update with info. Going to try not drive myself insane with this part as we were '

Just rang on my lunch so your main account is called sub account and any top would be sub account 1,2,3 etc. As we have just the original amount it's called a sub account

More confusion, so there is a possibility that their reference to Sub Account is actually to the Main account not the actual Sub Account which would now be Sub Account 1 all compounded by the fact that they have changed the account numbers presumably to make everything less confusing? It's not like UB to issue misleading information.

Just re-read the letter and though confusing it does look like they are referring to the sub mortgage when they say sub mortgage. I’m probably not qualified to interpret this though as I thought that “for the lifetime of the loan” meant “for the lifetime of the loan” and that “advice” meant “advice”. The term “Bank Robbery” probably means something else these days.

Last edited:
I did contact UB last year by email to ensure that my mortgage would be included in the CB examination. UB confirmed that it would be included but also stated that I had already been restored to the correct tracker rate and over payments had already been refunded. So I took that correspondence to mean that they were deeming me to be "sorted".

I do know that Padraic Kissane has been fighting hard to ensure that cases like ours are not forgotten about and are redressed and compensated along with everyone else who has been impacted. We have a lot to thank Padraic for ;)

Just to update, i got the letter from UB today stating i was due further redress and compensation.

Hi Banking17

It refers to Mortgage Account:xxxxxx Sub-account: xxxxx
As I only have one account, I'm presuming this is how they classify accounts.

The text of the letter refers to the sub-account.

Hi there,

I have not received any letters from Ulster Bank, although I complained some time ago. Should I have heard by now ?

Hi Janet,

Do you mean an initial complaint or complaint about compensation after being sorted out?

I got a letter stating the exact same today. I was put back on my tracker in 2015 and overpayments refunded but not without a battle and at considerable cost for help with my case.

Having received my initial letter just 3 weeks ago (see my post above), I arrived home today to a letter and a cheque for TVM and compensation from UB, along with information on how to appeal if I wish to do so.
Let's hope more letters are on their way in the very near future.

Back