Ulster Bank fined €34m over trackers

Brendan Burgess

Founder
I have attached the full statement from the Central Bank, but here is my briefing note on the issue

Central Bank’s findings

1. Failed to disclose to impacted tracker customers all the consequences of fixing their interest rates;

2. Devised and implemented a deliberate strategy not to provide certain customers with their correct tracker mortgage entitlement unless they complained and to treat those customers who did complain in an inequitable manner;

3. Failed to adequately implement the TME’s Stop the Harm principles to protect all potentially impacted tracker customers from further detriment;

4. Failed to ensure that its operational systems and controls were sufficient to ensure that its customers were provided with their correct tracker mortgage entitlements;

5. Devised and implemented a deliberate strategy of encouraging customers to convert their tracker rates to fixed rates between August and October 2008;

Schedule of tracker fines
Springboard (ptsb subsidiary)€4.5mNov 2016
Ptsb€21mMay 2019
KBC€18mSeptember 2020
Ulster Bank€38m

Previous Ulster Bank fines

Mortgage Arrears€4.6 mMarch 2020
Anti money laundering€3.325mNove 16
IT failures€3.5m2016?

In addition to this, Ulster Bank has topped the Ombudsman’s list of Upheld Complaints in 2019. See below.

What was so egregious about the Ulster Bank case?

• They knew that some customers had a right to trackers, but they did not give them to them unless they complained. The Central Bank has not made this finding against any other lender.
  • Even when they complained, Ulster Bank put up all sorts of barriers in their way. Forcing them to go to the Ombudsman and not conceding until the very last minute.
  • Furthermore, customers who did complain (in relation to 352 mortgage accounts) were
  • managed on a case-by-case basis and were not all afforded the same redress and
  • compensation. Later, as more customers complained and were returned to tracker rates,
  • UBID introduced a questionnaire designed to test the extent to which a complainant was
  • “genuinely” confused as to their default interest rate as opposed to whether a complainant
  • had submitted a complaint on the basis that they had heard that other customers with similar terms and conditions had, following complaints, been returned to their original tracker rate. This put in place a higher evidential bar for complaining customers. UBID also did not return all customers who complained by way of filling out the questionnaire to their original tracker rate or provide them with compensation. As a result of UBID’s treatment of complaints, all impacted customers did not receive their correct redress and compensation until the Central Bank required UBID to provide it to them under the auspices of the TME.

• In 2008, they had a deliberate campaign to encourage people off their trackers. The Central Bank fined KBC for doing the same thing. It was alleged against permanent tsb, but the Central Bank did not find that this happened.
  • They did not “stop the harm” in time. When they knew people were impacted, they should have told them immediately. The effect of this was that 7 people sold their homes because their mortgages were not sustainable. Had they been told earlier, they would have kept their homes.
Other issues common in the tracker cases

• The documentation wasn’t clear enough
  • They did not tell people that they would lose their trackers if they fixed
  • Their systems to identify those affected were terrible
How do the other banks compare?

In 2011, the Ombudsman upheld a number of complaints against Bank of Ireland on a systemic tracker issue. Bank of Ireland faced up to it and put 2,096 customers back on trackers, whether or not they had complained.

• This was the right thing to do for customers
  • It was the right thing to do for the bank – they faced no huge compensation claims by dragging it out for 10 years.
How good a job has the Central Bank done?

Back in 2010 when the Ombudsman upheld these complaints against Ulster Bank, the Ombudsman sent them to the Central Bank. There was widespread reporting on Askaboutmoney and in the media of these cases. But the Central Bank did nothing.

Having said that, the current team has done a great job. Ulster Bank made it quite clear than they would not have given trackers back to people unless they had complained. Very few ever complained. Without the Central Bank intervention, these customers would still be paying the highest mortgage rates in the Eurozone.

What lessons can we learn?

When the Ombudsman makes a finding in a case that affects other people in the same cohort, the Ombudsman must have the power to direct the financial institution to apply that finding to all other customers in that cohort.

The Ombudsman must be given the power to go public on the issue including naming the institution involved so that others who might be affected by it, can raise a complaint with the institution.

[broken link removed] in 2019 – page 31

(Ulster Bank did not appear on the Top Ten list in 2018)

1616673642442.png

Attachments

• Public statement relating to Settlement Agreement between the Central Bank of Ireland and Ulst...pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 203
I wish I could say I feel vindicated. I just feel numb. There has to be more than this. It's clear that management decided in 2011 based upon a financial review that it was not going to return customers to their tracker rates unless they complained. Will there be any convictions or sanctions on the individuals concerned?

None of this is news to me. I took my own ombudsman case against Ulster which I lost (not tracker) and it was clear to me when I dealt with Ulster they had a deliberate policy of writing letters to me which ignoring the points in my compliant. At that time, which I didn't know, I had zero chance of succeeding with the ombudsman back then. His office were useless.

And not a bit surprised that the Central Bank did nothing back in 2010.

Central Bank on RTE discussing this. Praising themselves in relation to their actions when asked by RTE did they do anything in 2011. And saying it's the banks fault. Absolving the Central Bank of any blame.

https://askaboutmoney.com/threads/s...investment-property.104951/page-2#post-909488 Me in 2009:

I hope the ombudsman goes further though and orders all banks who have changed the original terms and conditions of the calculation of mortgage interest for investments which were under home loan rates initially into investment loan rates. I don't think it's good enough that it only applies to cases where clients have taken a case to the regulator.

This all leads to another question, (maybe this should be another thread)
Where the Ombudsman has directed the Financial regulator to look into certain 'sharp' practices or procedures, where is the follow up on this? Is the Financial regulator obliged to do what the ombudsman suggest or is it merely that, a suggestion or recommendation?

Last edited:
Central Bank on RTE discussing this. Praising themselves in relation to their actions when asked by RTE did they do anything in 2011. And saying it's the banks fault. Absolving the Central Bank of any blame.

I was delighted to hear her being asked this question.

It appeared in my Briefing Note which I had sent to RTE.

It's tough on Derville. She is relatively new and is doing a great job. But she doesn't want to slag off her predecessors even though I am sure she knows that they should have jumped on this back in 2009.

Brendan

Here are some posts from the time where people had been offered the fixed rate by Ulster Bank in an effort to get them off their trackers.

Brendan

I was delighted to hear her being asked this question.

It appeared in my Briefing Note which I had sent to RTE.

It's tough on Derville. She is relatively new and is doing a great job. But she doesn't want to slag off her predecessors even though I am sure she knows that they should have jumped on this back in 2009.

Brendan
I don't think that's good enough. So what if it's tough on her. Speak the truth. Getting a bit of a going over in an interview for 30 seconds isn't tough. Losing your tracker is tough. Organisations like the Central Bank that still defend the past are part of the problem. They were a disgrace. Acting like it's different now and they are taking action now is of no benefit to the people who lost their homes while the Central Bank did nothing. And they knew. Derville (I didn't catch her name or position) did a lovely job on glossing over the CB's role by stating it's all the Banks fault what went on. This was a failure of the Central Bank too.

So no I don't feel sorry for someone in the Central Bank on the radio.

Last edited:

- bank deliberately devised a scheme to avoid giving people good value trackers when they were entitled to them.

- regulators had to seek to take High Court action to get the bank to provide it with documents related to the scandal.

- 49 separate regulatory breaches

this bit drives me nuts:

- The fine would have been €54m but the bank got a 30pc discount for co-operating with the Central Bank.

after they had to go to court to get documents

- devised and implemented a deliberate strategy not to provide some customers with their correct tracker mortgage entitlement

I would suggest that anyone who believe this

- She said fine should serve as a clear message to the wider market of the importance of compliance with the fundamental requirements of the Central Bank’s Consumer Protection Codes.

believes in the tooth fairy. Where are the names of the decision makers. Where is the individual accountability. Where is the apology from the Central Bank for their failing to stop this for the last 15 years.

this bit drives me nuts:

- The fine would have been €54m but the bank got a 30pc discount for co-operating with the Central Bank.

Hi Bronte

The directors in the Irish Nationwide refused to accept a sanction from the Central Bank. So the Central Bank has been bogged down in a public inquiry for years now on it.

So Ulster Bank could have said "We have done nothing wrong. If you want, take us to the Administrative Sanctions Committee" and this would not be resolved for at least another ten years.

Brendan

Hi Bronte

The directors in the Irish Nationwide refused to accept a sanction from the Central Bank. So the Central Bank has been bogged down in a public inquiry for years now on it.

So Ulster Bank could have said "We have done nothing wrong. If you want, take us to the Administrative Sanctions Committee" and this would not be resolved for at least another ten years.

Brendan
If something is taking 10 years than the system is not fit for purpose. And the Central Bank should inform the public and the government that the system needs changing.

The simple fact is that the Central Bank didn't want to take action on the banks after the collapse as they were not customer orientated. Instead they were in cahoots with the bankers. If a bank is fined 30 million, which will be paid by the customers, then why are the individuals who created the systems of deceit against consumers not being named, shamed and jailed.

Last edited:
If any of you have any evidence or suspicion of criminal behaviour, go to the Garda.

Don't confuse immoral , unethical, or breaches of the code which are civil matters with criminal matters.

The Central Bank is always on the lookout for criminal behaviour, and when they see evidence of it, they refer it to the Garda.

Brendan

The simple fact is that the Central Bank didn't want to take action on the banks after the collapse as they were not customer orientated. Instead they were in cahoots with the bankers.

I think we have to recognise that institutions can and do change, and sometimes for the better.

There has been a real change in appetite to impose big sanctions over the last 5 years at the Central Bank. You can browse enforcement actions here and you can see that they have really increased in scale in the last few years.

I think we have to recognise that institutions can and do change, and sometimes for the better.

There has been a real change in appetite to impose big sanctions over the last 5 years at the Central Bank. You can browse enforcement actions here and you can see that they have really increased in scale in the last few years.
Sanctions do not equate to culture change within any institution. Ulster Bank is an excellent example of that.

Padraic Kissane was on RTE. He mentioned there is no culpability. That he's being dealing with this for 12 years. That he 'hopes' that the Ulster bank will now deal with his other cases because they said they were going to be proactive from now on. (I reckon he will be waiting). Said the CB don't have enough powers.

Now being discussed with Jim O'Callaghan. Asked did the CB need more powers and he said they had plenty of extensive powers. Mention of the Gardai investigating. RTE said in other countries the regulators have the powers to go after individuals. Jim says fitness and probity - administrative sanction route. Jim said the CB has the power to hold individuals to account. And the Gardai have fitness and probity powers.

ODC mentioned. ( a lot of waffle if you ask me).

Word 'f i t ne ss' changes to 'spam'

I don't think a leopard will ever change it's spot. UB only came this far when dragging kicking and screaming. Not one person is going to be held to account and that tells us all we need to know. The 'corporate' entity has been fined. It will be paid by the customers. Why would those in charge change. There's no sanctions on any of them. They are just getting better at 'acting' they are better. If they were better Padraic Kissane wouldn't still have to fight them all the way still.

Back