Ulster bank Credit Cards will close in March 2023

Got confirmation email today from UB:

On 19th February 2021, we announced that we would commence a phased withdrawal of all our banking activity and associated services in the Republic of Ireland. We are now writing to you to provide six months’ notice to take action to find a new provider if you wish to continue to have access to a Credit Card product. Your Credit Card will no longer work from 22nd March 2023, or shortly thereafter, therefore it is important you take action now.

Some further waffle in the email around options, recurring payments, the €30 Government fee, etc.
And of course information that you can close the CC account anytime already via the Mobile App or Anytime Banking Service.

I visited my Ulster Bank branch in Blackrock twice and asked about closing my credit card account. I have left €30 in it to pay for the Government stamp duty. I was told on both occasions that they can do nothing about closing it and that I would have to contact the Ulster Bank credit card department.

Today I got a letter in the post telling me that I need to close my account and that one of the ways I can do this is by "visiting my local branch".

There is a sign in the branch that says the branch closes at 1 p.m. daily to facilitate customers that want to close their accounts. I wonder why the staff in Blackrock did not want to help?

I closed mine on the app. Or at least i thought I had! I got an email a few days later to say I had to ring CC services. When I eventually got through to someone, they could see I had closed my card online and couldn't explain why I was told I had to ring them!!

I "think" that I have managed to close my Ulster Bank credit card account. I left €30 in it to pay for the stamp duty. This was taken at the start of the month from my account. I have received a statement showing a nil balance. However, the promised letter stating that I have paid the €30 stamp duty has not arrived....yet. Nor has any letter saying that the account is now closed.

I need this letter showing that I paid the €30 stamp duty to pass on to my new credit card provider, so I won't be charged a second time.

Has everyone else received this letter?

Even when I switched from UB to UB cards a few years back they were unable to issue the letter, to themselves. They ended up crediting the €30 to my account to offset the tax instead of fixing the letter issue. I'm not holding out hope that they will have it working this time around either.

I need this letter showing that I paid the €30 stamp duty to pass on to my new credit card provider, so I won't be charged a second time.

Has everyone else received this letter?
No sign of this letter from the Ulster Bank credit card department for me either.

I've received a final CC statement in the post last week after closing the card some 6 weeks ago.
The statement includes the stamp duty line. I'll black out any other records and will send it on to the new CC provider. Might be enough.

I'll black out any other records and will send it on to the new CC provider. Might be enough.
I have a letter saying that they would send out the stamp duty letter. My understanding is that it is our right to receive this letter. I do not see the need to be sending on a closing statement with some personal details blacked out. The Ulster Bank should be providing this letter.

Hi, looking for some help. My husband has an ulster bank credit card which will be gone in March of next year. He has a limit of 8k, he rarely uses it but we have used it in the past when we needed to make large purchases. Anyways we would like to be able to have a credit card and was wondering who would take him on. He does not have a job as in his sixties and just getting by on income earned from a rental property, I have a part time job and other bits and pieces. Bank of Ireland have consistently refused us loans, overdrafts etc as we don't fit the criteria so can't see them giving him a credit card even though I have banked with them for a very long time.

No sign of this letter from the Ulster Bank credit card department for me either.
Despite them telling me over the phone and in a letter that the stamp duty letter would be automatically posted out....it wasn't. I phoned them today. Spoke to someone in the UK who said that it would only be posted out on request.

It seems their left hand does not know what their right hand is doing.

I got my letter after a month waiting. I brought it to my AIB branch and the lady I was dealing with did not know what to do with it. She phoned the credit card department and was told that the letter had to go to their Account Maintenance section in Sandyford.

It will be interesting to see if I am charged next year.

I got my letter after a month waiting. I brought it to my AIB branch and the lady I was dealing with did not know what to do with it. She phoned the credit card department and was told that the letter had to go to their Account Maintenance section in Sandyford.

It will be interesting to see if I am charged next year.
Yes, answering my own post here.

Despite sending a letter to the AIB from Ulster Bank showing that I had already paid the €30 government duty on my Ulster Bank credit card when I had to close that account, I find that the AIB has charged it again.

I just knew that this was going to happen.

This matter was actually dealt with by a lady in the AIB Stillorgan last year, who phoned the Account Maintenance department in Sandyford who assured her that I would not be charged.

Can they do anything right?

I have been charged also, despite sending in my letter to show that it had been paid. I messaged AIB through their Facebook page and I was told to send in my letter, despite having told them that I had done so in my opening message. Does anybody read anything properly nowadays?

My account should have been flagged when I sent in my letter. Obviously not...

I have also been charged €30 by the AIB in respect of duty on my credit card despite the fact that I sent in a letter to the AIB when I closed my Ulster Bank credit card account and opened my new AIB credit card account.
The time and effort that I have had to put in to this whole process is a pain in the backside.

I had to contact Ulster Bank 3 times to get the letter.
I left in the letter in my local AIB branch and spoke to a person there before Christmas. I thought that the matter was finished with there and then. Apparently not.
I phoned AIB yesterday and I was promised that someone would get back to me that afternoon.....nobody did.
I phoned them again today and I am told that it is another department that will be dealing with my request.

On and On and On....

The same thing with Revolut's credit card. Getting on to the chat meant that the initial person had to escalate my query even after I had sent the Revenue help page and my UB letter. I had already explained to him that this was basic stuff that front line Revolut staff should be aware of if they are offering their products in Ireland.

I eventually got my refund about 48 hours later which, in hindsight, is probably more efficient than AIB!!

I left in the letter in my local AIB branch and spoke to a person there before Christmas. I thought that the matter was finished with there and then. Apparently not
Same here. Apparently my letter was lost by the AIB. They have now said that they will "probably" accept that they lost it and as a gesture of goodwill they "may" refund me the €30 charge.

Can you believe this?

The €30 charge has pushed my credit card to be overdrawn by this amount. I clear the balance every month. I notice that they will charge me interest plus a once off fee of €7 if I don't clear my balance on the due date.

I now have to wait for them to "probably" refund me the €30 charge? If they don't, the whole process starts again of chasing them, spending hours on phone calls etc, all because of their incompetence.

Hi, can anyone get through to UB C Cards? Tried about 4 times over different days & times but literally going round in a circle. I was charged €8.50 for a late payment fee due to "Unpaid Sepa DD" on my UB Current account which was closed 3 days earlier. I'm trying to clarify why I'm being charged for this and only today I had another CC statement and a new €8.50 has been added. Should I pay the balance to clear the accruing charges and then appeal to UB complaints / Financial ombudsman as I feel really wronged!

Sounds as if there is a direct debit payment trying to pass a payment to your closed UB account

Maybe you should contact the company looking to be paid and update your bank account details

Back