Ulster Bank Credit card compromised.

Kimmagegirl

Late February/early March last we discovered that our Ulster Bank credit card was compromised. Purchases were made online through various U.K. retail outlets and transport companies.
We very seldom use our cards. Mostly to pay for car insurance. Flights. To book hotels. Never in supermarkets our restaurants where we use cash.
Our credit cards never leave our side.

We went through all the hassle of having our cards cancelled and replaced. Took about 10 days.

We got our new cards on or about the 26th March last. Got my statement yesterday and I find that the new card has been compromised. One transaction to Netflix.

Since receiving the new cards we only had about 6 transactions. Car Insurance, Ryanair, Melia Hotel in Spain booked through their main secure webpage.

I have spoken to the fraud department in the Ulster Bank and they were pretty useless I have to say. They didn't even know which country the Netflix charge was activated from.

How can this have happened. Anyone else have a similar situation with Ulster Bank credit cards?

We now have to have these cards replaced yet again.

Not Ulster Bank credit card, no, but when I had a Tesco credit card this happened.
I got onto their fraud department as soon as I saw the charge, and they told me they had already recognised it as fraudulent, and it would be cancelled. I never thought to ask how the fraud continued onto the new card, but I had no more trouble with the new one after that.

Gone through a similar issue with UB and not clear why. I found them ok the first time and not so good the 2nd time

Netflix is billed from the Netherlands AFAIK

Could one of your devices be compromised?

+1 - I would at least have a look at what was in common. Did you use a laptop or phone for the car insurance / Ryanair bookings. The concern would be some malware on a device which is key-logging.

The alternative is a data breach at one of the vendors. If you can recall - did you ever "save my details for future use" on any of the sites. it would mean the details were stored on their side though it should be encrypted - but we've seen a lot of examples over the years where companies have had poor to no data security

Back