UK V.A.T. rate to be reduced to 15%

Status
Not open for further replies.
Z

z104

Would be interested to know your thoughts on how this will affect the south of Ireland now that there will be a 6.5% difference in the V.A.T. rate between the north of the country and the south of the country.

Would be interested to know your thoughts on how this will affect the south of Ireland now that there will be a 6.5% difference in the V.A.T. rate between the north of the country and the south of the counrty.

E-Flow will be busy sending out more letters( un-paid toll ) :mad:

E-Flow will be busy sending out more letters( un-paid toll ) :mad:

Just pay it now, As far as I know the legislation says you have to pay the toll, I don't think it says how soon after you pass you have to the pay.

eflow recommend by 8pm the following evening but is this in the legislation?

I totally forgot and paid a week later, I still received the letter but phoned up and they said they would waive the 40 euro charge.

mathepac is poking fun at your erroneous reference to 'the south' when you obviously mean 'the Republic' (which includes counties, such as Donegal, which is definitely in one and definitely not in the other).

mathepac is poking fun at your erroneous reference to 'the south' when you obviously mean 'the Republic' (which includes counties, such as Donegal, which is definitely in one and definitely not in the other).

Hardly erroneous, but reflective of common usage, even among Donegal folk.

RTE also commonly refer to Northern Ireland as the North or the north of the country.

Its great! My parents in Belfast are going to see so much more of me! And petrol prices have come down at the same time so it is all good news. I spent the weekend walking around the shops in Cork City going to myself - I'm going to get that next weekend, and that next weekend, and I'm going to buy that on-line from the UK and pick it up from my parents. Oh, I'm seeing them this weekend, if you hadn't gathered. Well seeing them as we walk around the shops that is....

Christmas shopping with a weak sterling and with reduced VAT to come at some point. Hooray!

What is the rate is the UK now, I thought it was 17.5% but my mate is saying it is 20%.

Also, outs was 21% and it has gone up to 22% in last budget - am I right?

Vat rate in the UK is 17.5% but going down to 15% Vat rates in the republic is 21% going up to 21.5%

6.5% difference.

Great stuff, shops in the republic had it easy for far too long charging what seemed to be more and more each day. Now there is a little competition the head of some useless organisation will be ringing Matt Cooper telling us all that if we only shopped in his store then the recession would end and house prices would go up. A bit of competition is great.

A bit of competition is great.

A VAT rate that is 6% more than the equivalent rate in the North (or 38% higher in percentage terms) is not competition, its more a case of taxing ourselves out of existence.

Vat rate in the UK is 17.5% but going down to 15% Vat rates in the republic is 21% going up to 21.5%

6.5% difference.

Dont forgot the UK hasnt got a 13.5% rate for property and gas/electricity etc like Ireland does. So not exactly a 6.5% difference!

Dont forgot the UK hasnt got a 13.5% rate for property and gas/electricity etc like Ireland does. So not exactly a 6.5% difference!

Are you going to pick up a few kilowatts when you are up there?

Bring up a battery charger maybe.

According to

The UK has a 5% rate on domestic fuel and power so that's a difference of 8.5%. I.e. gas and electricity are 63% less than the ROI rate.

Well there is no VAT on new residential property over here, so 13.5% versus 0% is a heck of difference

Well there is no VAT on new residential property over here, so 13.5% versus 0% is a heck of difference
[broken link removed]

In any case, I don't care. All I know is that living close to the M1 with the border an hour's drive away, I will not shop in ROI unless necessary.

It may be a bit of a pain to get there but let me assure you, going to the Pavillions in Swords is no walk in the park either.

Here was the govt's reaction to the news.
1209651.jpg

News just in - An Post to create hundreds of jobs to deliver massive increase of online orders from the U.K. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back