UK State Pension - Voluntary Class 2 Contribs

AlanMacI

Hi all, I made 5 years worth of Class 2 contributions to HMRC back in mid November via online transfer. At the same time I sent them a letter confirming all the details and asking for a receipt. I also requested a State Pension forecast. Last week I received my State Pension forecast - nothing changed! How long does it generally take them to process these payments and does it usually go smoothly? I dread phoning them, last time I was on hold for almost an hour!

I wouldn't worry too much. They are usually heavily backlogged. Just write another letter.

There is an April 2023 cut-off for making payments for more than five years in arrears which might have them pretty busy.

Yep, I thought they might be busy with the deadline approaching! I had 10 years to pay and thought I'd do it in two tranches, getting one lot sorted out and recorded before I paid the second. Just got off the phone with them... Payment recorded but not allocated. So she said she'd try and push it through.

Hi all, I made 5 years worth of Class 2 contributions to HMRC back in mid November via online transfer. At the same time I sent them a letter confirming all the details and asking for a receipt. I also requested a State Pension forecast. Last week I received my State Pension forecast - nothing changed! How long does it generally take them to process these payments and does it usually go smoothly? I dread phoning them, last time I was on hold for almost an hour!
I made my contributions on 18th October and they have not been allocated yet. I called them in December and they said they usually take about 19 weeks to process the payments. So you are probably looking at end of March unless they push it through more quickly.

I made my contributions on 18th October and they have not been allocated yet. I called them in December and they said they usually take about 19 weeks to process the payments. So you are probably looking at end of March unless they push it through more quickly.
They must be flat out with the deadline approaching. As the other poster says I guess once we have the payment made by the deadline then we should be ok.

Quick question - after April 2023, can you still make payments up to 5 years in arrears?

Thx
IMG20230113175912.jpg

Under normal circumstances it's only possible to fill gaps in your NI record up to six years after the year in question i.e. 2016/17 would normally be the oldest year which could be filled in 2022/23. However, until 5th April 2023 – you're able to go further back and fill gaps for any year from 2006/07 onwards.

So, the 5th April limit is for gaps pre-2016/17

Last edited:
Reactions: 3CC
Back