UK Purchase - UK road tax

legend99

Anyone have a quick answer to this? Buying a car in the UK and its road tax over there has run out. The garage in the UK are saying they cannot let me take the car unless it is taxed - has anyone any experience with regard to this?

Are you bringing the car back to Ireland?

The garage cant stop you form taking the car, but if stopped on the way the police have the power to take the car away from you, weather they will do this i have no idea, you might get away with it with your situation.

They are a bit more advanced than Ireland. The have these special things ( dont know what they are called ) bascially they can read your number plates even when your moving and it alerts them if that registration doesn't have any tax or insurance. I assume your using your irish insurance, so make sure you at least have all your documents with you to prove that.

The have these special things ( dont know what they are called ) bascially they can read your number plates even when your moving

They're called cameras :D. They're just hooked up to a computer with image detection software.

I remember seeing something on here a while back that they were getting more strict in this regard. Search might find that among the myriad of UK import threads. You could ask them to tax it for the minimum period or take your business elsewhere?

Place I bought mine gave me a card to give to the police in the event I was stopped for no tax.
Leo

They're called cameras :D. They're just hooked up to a computer with image detection software. ...
In total the system is called ANPR, automatic number-plate recognition, which is linked directly with records for MOT (NCT), tax and insurance of the vehicle and the British police national computer system for "suspicious activity" reports.

I know for new vehicle sales, dealers cannot allow cars off the fore-court without road-tax and its included in the RRP of new vehicles. (I am not sure about VAT-free personal export vehicles which get special registration plates.)

They're called cameras :D. They're just hooked up to a computer with image detection software.

HAHA yeah i know that but there called something more than camera's arn't they. Some very long word that i'd never remember!!!

Anyone have a quick answer to this? Buying a car in the UK and its road tax over there has run out. The garage in the UK are saying they cannot let me take the car unless it is taxed - has anyone any experience with regard to this?

They are right and as has been pointed out the car can be taken off you.

You will need to tax the car or get the garage to tax it for you.
When you get the car back here and reregister it send all the details to DVLA in Swansea and they will give you a refund.
Check the DVLA website for full details

In the UK a car has either to have current valid road tax or be declared off the road. If it's found to be on the road (even parked and not used), it can be impounded (and possibly destroyed).

I got caught with this. The dealership gave me a letter to say I was taking car back to Ireland, but I got pulled over in north wales. The cop let me off as I was 45k from the boat and I showed him car was bought that day and fully insured. However he explained it is completely illegal to drive on any road in the UK without road tax and explained if he called it in, he would be ordered to impound the car. He said it was illegal for the garage to let me drive off in the cat untaxed also. They have cameras that scan plates on motorways and flag offenders, thats how I was caught. I guess you could stay off main roads and avoid them that way, or stick your own Irish plates on it to get it home but not sure if thats legal or not. Maybe get lucky, like me, and meet a sound copper.

Yes, I was in similar situation - just get it taxed first - much easier to do in the UK - garsage will have it done in a day for you - it might cost about 100 euro for 6 months (I think that's the minimum), but you can get refund for 5 months, so really for the sake of 20 euro or so it makes sense to get it taxed first for peace of mind.

Back