UK pension but have moved to Ireland

emerald_e

Asking for an aunt of mine. She is in her late seventies and worked for 30+ years in the UK, enough to claim the full UK state pension. She moved home to Ireland a few years ago and is wondering if she can 'switch' her credits to Ireland so that she could claim the Irish pension instead (and other benefits like fuel allowance). The UK pension is a bit lower than the Irish one and she is struggling with living costs. Her only assets are a house (paid off) and car.

I can see there is a reciprocal agreement between the UK and Ireland but I don't know if that would help in her situation.

Would anyone have any guidance? Thanks in advance.

She moved home to Ireland a few years ago and is wondering if she can 'switch' her credits to Ireland so that she could claim the Irish pension instead (and other benefits like fuel allowance).
Did she ever work in Ireland?

If so, how long ago and for how long?

Then AFAIK she will have no Irish contributory entitlements.

She may be able to get means-tested benefits here though if UK pension income is low enough.

If her total income is below the Irish Non Contributory rate of pension she can apply for a non contrib. pension and may be entitled to a top up, to bring her up to the Irish pension rate. On receipt of that small pension she can then apply for Fuel Allowance, Living alone allowance and Household Benefit.
Does she have a free travel Pass.?
The above assumes she complies with Habitual Residence condition

If her total income is below the Irish Non Contributory rate of pension she can apply for a non contrib. pension and may be entitled to a top up, to bring her up to the Irish pension rate. On receipt of that small pension she can then apply for Fuel Allowance, Living alone allowance and Household Benefit.
Does she have a free travel Pass.?
The above assumes she complies with Habitual Residence condition
Then AFAIK she will have no Irish contributory entitlements.

She may be able to get means-tested benefits here though if UK pension income is low enough.
Thank you very much for the replies! I will look into the topup for her.

Back