UK non-domiciled vs Irish non-domiciled

Franc1

All

I wonder if the irish and U.K. systems are different in relation to how income is taxed for non-domiciled people. In the U.K. there is a very clear rule that says that non-domiciled individuals must do a tax return and specify that they are non-domiciled and want to avail of the remittance basis vs the arising basis.
Failure to do so, implies that a non-domicile individual is not availing of the remittance basis, and will go with the default (arising basis of taxation) and needs to declare the non-UK income and pay his worldwide income tax in the UK despite of his non-dom status. This is very clear and very well documented in the HMRC site and various other tax firms websites.

I cannot find the same rule for Ireland anywhere, I did a lot of research. Can someone confirm that it is indeed different than the UK ?
I'm asking since despite being non-domiciled and having income outside of Ireland (never remitted) I only ever had PAYE income in Ireland, so I never submitted any tax returns in the last 7 or 8 years, as everything comes out of payroll. Should I just do one only for the sake of checking the non-dom box in the future, even if technically I have no obligation having no other income outside of the PAYE system ?

Thanks

Franc

Yes, the rules are very different. Irish domicile is still entirely driven by case law. The UK departed a number of years back and introduced a statutory definition of domicile. Yes, I would be inclined to register your foreign domicile by filing a tax return. The Form 12 may even include a box to tick on domicile as the Form 11 certainly does.

Last edited:
Back