UK National Insurance Contributions (Personal Independence Payment)

francis@essl

I and my wife lived and worked in the UK in the 80's, but now have lived and worked in Ireland since '93. I have since returning from the UK, paid all my UK NI contributions for both I and my wife to avail of UK state pension. I'm 53. Unfortunately I have been diagnosed with a terminal illness. I know that UK residents can avail of a Personal Independence Payment if they have a serious illness and are unable to work. I have contacted the Department of Works & Pensions in Wolverhampton in the UK and their initial response to my request for this payment, was that I was not eligible. I do though think that all EU residents are eligible. Before I dig deeper into it , I was wondering if I am eligible for such a payment and if anybody knows of Irish residents who have availed of such a payment. I'd appreciate also if I am eligible, advice on how to submit your claim or someone who would have expertise in this area. The nature of my illness is/will be very debilitating over the next year.

I have no experience of it, but bullet points 3 and 4 on their website seem to make it clear that you are not - you have to be actually in GB when you make the claim.

Personal Independence Payment

Thanks for your response but I would not agree that this is the case if you look at the fifth bullet point. I'm not sure if you have to meet all these criteria.

Back