UK law firm to represent me in High Court case in Dublin

pleasehelpme

Hi,

Could a UK based law firm represent me in the High Court here in Dublin, Ireland? Are there any circumstances that would be needed in order for this to take place?

Thank you so much in advance

Thank you very much for your answer, I'm very grateful

Would it be ok if you could elaborate on your second answer, what would be involved for an English Solicitor and Barristers to represent me physically here in the High Court?

Again, thank you so much in advance

Thank you very much for your answer, I'm very grateful

Would it be ok if you could elaborate on your second answer, what would be involved for an English Solicitor and Barristers to represent me physically here in the High Court?

Again, thank you so much in advance
A crime, transport, money, accommodation, food, and language.

A crime, transport, money, accommodation, food, and language.
Ha ha!!!

What I mean is, is it just the Certificate of Admission from the Law Society of Ireland the English Solicitor and Barristers would have to get to represent me in the High Court, would there be anything else required for them to physically represent me, or would that be all that would be needed?

Thank you

Ha ha!!!

What I mean is, is it just the Certificate of Admission from the Law Society of Ireland the English Solicitor and Barristers would have to get to represent me in the High Court, would there be anything else required for them to physically represent me, or would that be all that would be needed?

Thank you
If they don't know the answers to those questions themselves, then they shouldn't really be representing you here, should they...

You need a member of the Irish bar to represent you in the Irish High Court.

You also need an instructing solicitor. From a practical point of view this will need to be a solicitor with up to date experience of litigation in the Irish High Court.

If you have an existing relationship with a UK law firm you could have them engage an Irish solicitor to instruct a barrister.

No they are qualified in a different country. It would be negligent.
A large number of UK legal firms registered to practice in Ireland before Brexit in order to be able to represent EU clients. So many are registered here, but that does not mean they are aware of the ins and outs of Irish legal practice. So if your current UK solicitor's practice is not registered here, then clearly you need to arrange with them to engage an Irish solicitor or barrister. If they are registered here, you still need to ask some searching questions to be sure they have the practical experience you need, but for a straightforward matter, it may be fine for them to act for you.

Thank you for letting me know this.

Would it be possible the Law Society in Ireland be able to provide me with a list of UK firms registered here in Ireland, to find one who might act for me?

A large number of UK legal firms registered to practice in Ireland before Brexit in order to be able to represent EU clients. So many are registered here, but that does not mean they are aware of the ins and outs of Irish legal practice. So if your current UK solicitor's practice is not registered here, then clearly you need to arrange with them to engage an Irish solicitor or barrister. If they are registered here, you still need to ask some searching questions to be sure they have the practical experience you need, but for a straightforward matter, it may be fine for them to act for you.
A lot of them found that their registration was not much use because of the residence requirements. It’s not about registration but about being able and qualified for practice.
If you want to use a UK qualified solicitor, OP, ask are they insured to practice in Ireland.

Would it be possible the Law Society in Ireland be able to provide me with a list of UK firms registered here in Ireland, to find one who might act for me?
What are of law are you looking for?

You will likely be limiting yourself to the big (i.e. very expensive) players.

Sorry I'm only getting back to you all now. I want to thank each of you for your input and advice. I really appreciate it.

I'm still looking into this, and I'll see how it goes

Thanks again xx

Will you let us know how you get on? It’s interesting when people bring in foreign lawyers.

Whatever about the solicitor, you will probably need and Irish BL and an Irish SC. Why then pay (higher) fees for UK solicitor?

I have been involved in many multi-jurisdictional commercial cases and I have never seen a foreign firm of solicitors get directly involved with the Irish Courts. An Irish firm is always instructed, as they are familiar with the relevant Case Law, Rules of the Superior Courts, Procedures for Service etc. On complex issues, such as the applicability of a Lloyds Re-Insurance contract, there might be scope for getting a Queen's Counsel involved.

The only reason I could see for having a foreign firm of solicitors involved is if you were suing a firm of solicitors for negligence. Even then, the Law Society has a panel of firms who are prepared to act against other firms.

Jim Stafford

Back