UK Interest Rates

marathonic

It's interesting that, in the UK, you can now get a 10-year fixed rate at 3.04% with no mortgage application fee or 2.94% with a £999 application fee. These deals are available from Nationwide.

Personally, having moved across the border to Northern Ireland 2 years ago, I've now managed to switch to a lifetime tracker at 1.29% above Bank of England Base Rate, i.e. the rate is currently 1.79%. This particular rate is with First Direct.

Will Irish rates ever revert to such low levels? I don't fancy the chances of it happening. I'm considering paying down my mortgage in NI for a few years and, potentially, moving back south when the mortgage required is so low that the high Irish interest rates won't impact me so much.

As of today, the above 10 year fixed rates have been reduced by 0.1% to 2.94% and 2.84% respectively.

There is some serious competition in the UK mortgage market if 10-year fixes are available at such low rates.

Hi Marathonic

Here are some extracts from a briefing which I did back in November for the Oireachtas Finance Committe and some journalists. You can find the full briefing attached.

upload_2015-1-22_9-57-16.png

upload_2015-1-22_9-58-0.png

Attachments

• A comparison of the owner occupied mortgage market in Northern Ireland with the Republic.docx
    18.9 KB · Views: 863
Back