UK death - Inheritance query

Armada

Hi Folks,

Hoping someone can help out here with this situation.

Background: My uncle lived in the UK for 50 years or so until his death 7 years ago. He was married but had no family. His wife died in the last few weeks -without making a will. Her only remaining relatives are(1) a sister(widowed .. no children) (2) an unmarried brother and (3) a grand niece.

We are assuming that as there was no will made that the UK government will benefit mostly from the estate and any remaining funds etc.. will go to his wife's siblings - maybe we are wrong though.

My mother however would llike to have some of my uncle's personal effects. He was in possession of bits and pieces which originally was that of my grandfathers etc.. Nothing of any great monetary value just sentimental to my Mum. My mum was my uncles only sister.

My question is.. How would we go about requesting/retrieving these items? The family dealing with the estate are all in their late eighties and at the time of my aunt in law's funeral, no solicitor was appointed. The grand niece involved is of course considerably younger and was not close to the deceased so upto now was not really in the picture.

All insights appreciated.

Why don't you phone them up and ask for the items is they are of sentimentail value to your mother. I think UK intenstacy rules are much the same as here to the aunts estate will go to her siblings and and child of a deceased sibling. It is these people who need to allow your mother to receive the items.

Back