UK car import guide: Comprehensive

Creditlimit

I recently brought in a car from the UK and found the following overview a great help. It is a good read for anyone thinking of bringing in a car or jeep in the near future.

Guide for Importing Cars from the UK
All new cars sold in Ireland will have Vehicle registration Tax (VRT) included in the price. All cars imported into Ireland are also subject to VRT which will have to be paid to the Irish Revenue Commissioners.

Although you will have to pay vehicle registration tax (VRT) on a UK car import, the real saving is made when importing a second hand model as you will be paying VRT on the OMSP (Open Market Selling Price) which will be greatly reduced. The OMSP is the price the vehicle is currently worth in Ireland at the time of import..
The following is a guide for anyone interested in importing a car from the UK into Ireland. By following this guide you will make sure that:
You get a better exchange rate on your car purchase making your car import considerably cheaper
You make sure that you car is in good condition
You complete all of the necessary paperwork for the tax office in time.
You have all the information necessary to get your car on the road as soon as possible
How much will I save by using Currency.ie to pay for my UK car import? The saving we make is on the import price, before the VRT is estimated:
2% for transfers under €10,000;
1.5% for transfers form €10,001 to €20,000;
1% for transfers over €20,000.
Click here and see a number of models we have paid for for clients, what they have saved by importing and what we saved them on the payment in addition to this. Why Import a car from the UK? Cheaper
Even after VRT is taken into account you can still expect to save 5-25% off the price of your imported car compared to buying the equivalent model on the Irish marketplace.

Higher spec
Asides from price you also tend to get a higher specification model when importing from Northern Ireland or the UK.

Service histories
Service histories are usually very good.

Better Condition
This is down to better roads, more motorway and a keener interest in car maintenance. The Used car market in the UK expect cars to be in immaculate condition with a perfect service history.

How can I make sure that the car has no problems? History
There are a number of ways you can research a cars history online to look out for:
outstanding finance due on the car
previous damage
stolen vehicles
clocked mileage
vehicle identity
My Car check is the cheapest service for this: www.mycarcheck.com

Current condition
It is advisable to also have a vehicle inspection. It will cost a few hundred euro but will save you buying a faulty vehicle. This check may cost approximately £100 however it is well worth the investment.

What is the cheapest way to buy sterling to pay for the UK car import?Many people neglect the importance that commissions and exchange rates have on the cost of their car import and simply get a sterling draft from their bank branch. If you do this you are 100% guaranteed to lose a few hundred euro.

Call our vehicle payments team on one of the following numbers and we will guarantee to save you money.

Ireland: +353 1 635 3700
UK: +44 207 659 9185
Australia: +61 2 9037 2735
USA: +1 8 667 993 864
New Zealand: +64 9 366 0877

How do I bring the car back?
Get it delivered;
There are trucks travelling between the UK and Ireland regularly offering delivery services.

Collect it yourself;
You will need to travel to the UK by ferry and returning by ferry. Unless the car is near the coast, it is probably easier to book a cheap flight with a low fairs airline to the airport closest to the cars location and book the ferry home. You may also need to consider booking a nights accommodation to split the journey or if flight times don't suit. It's also worth asking the seller to collect you at the airport as many sellers would be more than willing to do this.
When do I pay my VRT on a UK car import? VRT - Vehicle Registration Tax must be paid by the end of the next day, following its arrival in Ireland.

What if the car has been modified and the specification is not on the revenues database? Your local revenue office will need to send the details of your car to Revenue in Rosslare for a ruling on the OMSP and applicable VRT for a car if there is no previous record of a car of that spec being imported. Legally you will have to declare that the engine size is bigger when you are registering/taxing it in the state.

How is VRT calculated? For cars imported or sold in ireland before July 1 2008 VRT is calculated based on engine size:
On cars from 0 to 1400cc, VRT is charged at 22.5% of the OMSP
On cars between 1401cc and 1900cc, VRT is charged at 25% of the OMSP
On cars greater than 1900cc VRT is charged at 30%.
VRT charged on commercial vehicles is just €50. *If you are importing a car from Japan you will also have to pay VAT.

On cars imported into Ireland or sold in Ireland on or after July 1 2008 VRT will be calculated based on CO2 emissions
Click here to select your car model to see what percentage VRT you will have to pay on a car imported on or after this date.

How do I pay the VRT?You will need to pay this in your local VRO (vehicle registration office). Click here to find your local vehicle registration office: www.revenue.ie/index.htm?/cont_main.htm

This can be done by filling out a VRT4 form which can be downloaded here: VRT4 download.

Once you bring your vehicle to the VRO the team there will inspect your vehicle to calculate the exact VRT payable.

What else will I need to provide the VRO?
V5 form or the registered keepers form/log book. The seller (private or garage) has to provide you with this. Do not buy a car without this.
If the seller is serious about selling they can get this replaced and provide you with it pre purchase.
Proof of identity
A personal cheque or a bank draft for the amount of tax assessed. They will generally only accept a cheque or bank draft. The cheque should be made out to the revenue commissioners.
What do I receive once I have paid my VRT?
A receipt for the VRT paid showing the registration number assigned to your car.
A Form RF 100 for use when you are applying for road tax.
Registration plates showing the assigned registration number must be displayed on your car within 3 days of the date of registration (a leaflet showing the correct legal format of the registration plates to be used is available at any VRO). You can apply for registration plates on www.reg-plates-ireland.com. There is also a number plate shop beside the VRT office in Dublin city.
If I have been living in the UK and am bringing a vehicle back to Ireland am I exempt from paying VRT? Yes, once you have been living in the UK and have bought and owned the car for at least 6 months while living in the UK.

I have been living in the UK for the past 6 months or more. Want do I need to prove that I have been living in the UK for at least 6 months? The vehicle registration office is very particular about making sure that you have substantial evidence to show that you have indeed been living in the UK and are not simply trying to trick the system in avoiding VRT. The following would be required as evidence:
Vehicle Registration Certificate / Export Certificate
Evidence of vehicle’s insurance cover abroad for previous 6 months
Current Drivers Licence
Invoice relating to the purchase of the vehicle
Sailing ticket or other relevant document
Evidence of the sale of property abroad
Evidence of a property rental / tenancy agreement abroad
Evidence of payment of taxes abroad (P45, P60, poll tax etc.)
Evidence of day-to-day living abroad (e.g. household bills, medical records, work contracts etc.)
Out of interest how much motor tax will I pay annually on my vehicle?You pay road tax on a vehicle no matter whether you are importing a car yourself or buying it in Ireland. The amount of motor tax you pay is currently based on engine size. For new cars registered from 1 July 2008, motor tax charges will be determined on the basis of seven CO2 bands. Charges will range from €100 a year for the greenest cars to €2,000 for cars with the highest emissions ratings.

Cars registered before 1 January 2008 will continue to pay motor tax on the basis of engine size. New cars registered between 1 January 2008 and 30 June 2008 will have the choice weather to tax their vehicle based on engine size or CO2 emissions. You simply choose whichever is cheapest. There is a lot of confusion over this matter however this is the official word from the motor tax office as of 24th April 2008.

Old system
The following are the old tax bands that applied based on engine size: www.whatcar.ie/roadtaxcalculator.php
The following are the new tax bands that will apply after June 30th 2008:

New System
Band A, which corresponds to CO2 emissions of under 120 grams per kilometre - motor tax rate of €100.

Band B, which corresponds to CO2 emissions of between 121 and 140 grams per kilometre - motor tax rate of €150.

Band C, which corresponds to CO2 emissions of between 141 and 155 grams per kilometre - motor tax rate of €290.

Band D, which corresponds to CO2 emissions of between 156 and 170 grams per kilometre - motor tax rate of €430.

Band E, which corresponds to CO2 emissions of between 171 and 190 grams per kilometre - motor tax rate of €600.

Band F, which corresponds to CO2 emissions of between 191 and 225 grams per kilometre - motor tax rate of €1,000.

Band G, the top band - motor tax rate of €2,000, reflecting CO2 emissions of over 225 grams per kilometre.

How should I insure my new car?Most Irish companies will cover you for a period limited to approximately 30 days on UK plates until you have changed the plates over and got your new Irish plates. Ask your insurance company to transfer your policy to the new car. They will only issue a temporary cover for a non-Irish reg that lasts for 1 month.

If you have any other questions that we can help you with regarding importing a car from the UK please email [email protected]

does it matter how much milage is on the imported car,eg 10 miles or 5000 miles,or new or 2 months old,

Creditlimit - do you have any affiliation or association with the private / commercial organisations with links highlighted above?

Hi Mathepac, I have no affiliation to this company. I recently brought in a car from the UK as I've done on a number of occasions in the past few years and I found this information of particular interest that I thought would be of interest to others.

Hi all,
Sorry to hijack this thread....we had planned to travel to UK on Tues next to buy our new Qashqai...all happy with price and spec.
However a huge problem has arisen, the dealer had said car would have UK plates and 1 years road tax....I was transferring my insurance to the car, so we would be fully legal on road in UK....we had planned a weeks holiday in UK including alot of driving around.
Dealer calls today and said that car cannot be taxed as logbook will be sent to Southern Ireland,(and I think will not have plates) we cannot now have our holiday in UK..Could we even drive to Holyhead without being pulled over and the car impounded?
Does anyone know what we can do to both buy the car and be able to drive safely and legally for the week.

I am praying somebody can help me...have been onto DVLA and Police, but cannot see how we can do this at all......
Looking like we will just have to cancel the whole thing at the moment.
Any advice more than welcome.....

Dealer calls today and said that car cannot be taxed as logbook will be sent to Southern Ireland,(and I think will not have plates) we cannot now have our holiday in UK..Could we even drive to Holyhead without being pulled over and the car impounded? ...
AFAIK all new retail car sales in the UK include one year's road tax, a tank of fuel and plates as standard.

Did you suggest anything to the dealer (like "I will give you an Irish VAT number registration and as the car is a company purchase and an export order, don't charge me UK VAT, I'll settle up with Customs in Ireland", for example) that would promt him to do something out of the ordinary?

Who in "Southern Ireland" did he send the V5C (log book) document to, was it Customs in Rosslare or Jackie Healy-Rea?

If you attempt to drive the car in the UK with no plates and / or no road fund licence paid, you risk confiscation of the vehicle and prosecution.

I can't see how to get around this, other than to get an explanation from the dealer as to why he acted as he did and have him rectify the situation.

Hi Mathepac,
thanks for your response. The car is for personal export and we have not given VAT no as we do not have one. We had been informed by the dealer in question and others who we enquired with, that we had to pay irish VAT and fill out a form when buying in UK to exempt us from VAT there. Is this not the correct procedure?
The dealer is saying that if he taxes and plates the car the dealership will be first reg owner and we would be second registered owner and then would not have any VAT exemption in UK and of course the Irish gov will want their share when we get home.
At the end of my tether now, we had not even considered buying until my hubby got rear ended by truck and car written off. Any further advice greatly appreciated...........
Regards,
FifiB

Firstly dont drive in UK without road tax. I recently bought a 2 year old volvo in UK. The dealership told me car was not taxed and gave me a letter to that effect. I drove car from Milton Keynes to Holyhead and was pulled in in north wales. Luckily the cop was sound when I showed him car was insured, that I had just bought it and that I was taking it home etc. He told me if he called it in he would be ordered by DVLC to impound it.

Secondly - You can buy a new car in UK unplated and you dont pay the VAT in UK in this case, but you will have to pay the VAT in Ireland which is 3.5% higher. In this case you have to transport the car across as it illegal everywhere to drive a car unplated. What is the problem with them been put down as an owner with you second?? Do you really think this will make any difference to it's resale value??

... . Is this not the correct procedure?...
It depends. Did you tell the dealer you wanted to use the car in the UK?

If he gives you the car with no plates and no road tax, you will have to pay someone to bring it home on a car-transpoter
... We had been informed by the dealer in question and others who we enquired with, that we had to pay irish VAT and fill out a form when buying in UK to exempt us from VAT there. ...
You will have to pay Irish VAT and VRT here whether the car has been registered in the UK or not because of the age / mileage rule.
... The dealer is saying that if he taxes and plates the car the dealership will be first reg owner and we would be second registered owner and then would not have any VAT exemption in UK and of course the Irish gov will want their share when we get home. ...
That is simply untrue. The same as here, dealers don't get registered as owners on new (or second-hand) cars, unless they register them as demo cars.

Irrespective, you will pay Irsh VAT and VRT once you import it, no matter whose details appear on the V5C due to the age of the car.

Secondly - You can buy a new car in UK unplated and you dont pay the VAT in UK in this case, but you will have to pay the VAT in Ireland which is 3.5% higher. ...
VAT and VRT are payable.

thanks for all the input guys....
we have no prob with them being down as owners of car.....
however they say that we will then have to pay UK vat and of course the Irish vat here.....
am now trying to get a seconhand one again...hopefully that might work better.
cheers,
FifiB

One of the delights of the VRT system (not!) is that there's almost no incentive to go abroad to import a new (or less than 6 month old car), due to the way it is framed.

As has been frequently pointed out, it is an anti-competitive, anti-consumer and anti-free trade tax.

You can, however, make big savings on bringing in a 2nd hand car, though with the 2nd hand market here in freefall, this may have changed.

I assumed the poster would know VRT is payable on ALL cars registered here....

Just a suggestion If the car is over 6 month old you will not be liable for VAT here. If the model has reduced road tax under new laws I would suggest a late 59 reg as it is generally seen as an 07 car in UK but it may have been reged in jan/feb 08 allowing you to avail of new tax and get an 07 price. Bargain very hard as car market in uk is very soft. Double check exact reg date though as they may say january but it could be December, as it make no difference there but a big difference here. I came across this twice while looking at cars. Car may need to have over 6000KM to be vat exempt as I am not sure if just the 6 month criteria needs to be filled. Someone else or other threads will have this info.

Having just brought in a 57 reg (January 08) . The car definitely needs to be 6 months old and have more then 6k km on the clock.

can some one please tell me what documentation if any is need to prove that the car was purchased after 6 months, will the v5 form suffice
thanks

I wasn't asked to prove that I had purchased the car after 6 months. The car just had to be 6 months old.

In saying that I had the original invoice from the garage that stated the purchase date in case they did ask me. I also kept my receipt for the boat to prove when I brought the car in to the counrty. Again I wasn't asked for this.

cheers for that
another question did you pay vat in the uk on the car

Having just brought in a 57 reg (January 08) . The car definitely needs to be 6 months old and have more then 6k km on the clock.
Hi Mahons
Did revenue fine comb your car to make sure it had the 6000 km on it when you bought it and did they ask for a receipt to prove you hadn't bought it a day or two before it was six months old
Moongate

Looking for some advice here - Im wanting to import an 08 car from the UK. Just over 4K miles on it and its from a main dealer.

Its the car I want, style spec etc. so am not interested in going over, test driving and returning another day to purchase etc.

Would i be stupid to place a deposit on it via credit card over the phone, and agree a price. Cant see the point in getting a RAC inspection done on a 4 month old car. I would then get a draft and fly over and collect it on the same day.

Advice greatly apprecitated.

Back