UK car hire

Delta

Just been checking car hire from Gatwick. Prices look good until you go into details and then they belt you will extra insurance, extra driver, full tank etc.
Has anyone any advice on keeping costs down, or any recommendations for a car rental company?

I think you can transfer your own car insurance onto a hire car for a temporary period, although double check if that's possible with a UK rental. That just means your own insurance is valid on the rental car, including any additional drivers etc.

No need for full tank - they fleece you. Just fill up at the nearest fuel station to the airport and keep the receipt! Have been tried to have the wool pulled over my eyes a few times with that one!

Try www.carhire3000.com. Normally much cheaper than the car hire cos direct web sites but offering the same cars but will not be able to tell the hire co until nearer the time & date of hire.

Would you really want to claim on your own car insurance and lose your no claims if the hire company found something small like a chip in the windscreen, or a small mark?

If you had an accident in the hire car, or even had to make a claim for the reasons you made above, even if you were on the insurance of the car hir company, surely you would have to disclaim this to your insurance company when they ask "have you had any claims in the last 5 years"? I was in a hire car last year when i got involved in an accident - even though it wasn't my fault and i was on the hire car company insurance i still declared it to my own insurance company, didn't have an impact on my insurance but don't want to get caught out at a later stage.

I am talking about silly claims that the hire companies seem to make, why would you want to loose your no claims because you claimed for a chip in the windscreen or mark in the body

Back