UK Bankruptcy experience (so far!)

Hi Muntjac,

Are you able to visit Ireland when you desire? For example could you visit for a weekend every month or 2? Or is there restrictions?

Hi Muntjac,

I hope you are settled in okay by now I just wanted to add a suggestion in terms of moving stuff that might be of use to someone else. Am not affiliated to them in anyway but I did find them good.
You can put up a job on the AnyVan website and people will bid for the job you put up. I found that it was considerably cheaper than trying to move the stuff myself.

In terms of kitting out a place in the UK it is also worth looking at Freecycle, you can't sell or buy on there, you can only give stuff away. On leaving the UK the last time I gave away quite a bit of stuff (mostly electrics) that I didn't need to bring home, couldn't give to a charity shop (they don't accept electrical goods) and didn't want the hassle of getting to the recycling centre. Everything I put up was gone pretty immediately. Jumbletown is much bigger here than Freecycle but, certainly in the London area, Freecycle is definitely the king of give-away.

Hope all works out, will be watching this closely as i could be doing the same as yourself very very shortly!.

Best of luck

I doubt it very much by why would you want to do it that way?

Steve Thatcher

Hi Steve, Perhaps if they like the UK and wanted to spend the next 5 years at least there then they wouldn't want to mess up their UK credit rating.

What if they did decide to stay in the UK, could they just ignore the Irish debt and the IRL banks wont do anything til they come back, if ever? Would they be ok over time acquiring assets in the UK like a car & house with the debt left behind in Ireland?

regards,
D

It is not ideal. Debt arising from mortgages survives for 12 years after it crystallises. So if someone makes it good in the UK, that judgement debt can be transferred to the Uk and the assets accumulated here could then be attacked. All in very simple terms

Steve Thatcher

Toodles thanks, as above we moved to East Anglia, good few jobs about and cheaper rents than London. I moved here as it's where I was offered a job. Our kids are not school age yet so not an issue with schools thankfully.

I have immediate family living in East Anglia, after being brought up in London would move back to the city again. There are very good connection from Ipswich to Stansted Airport. There are some beautiful places in East Anglia like Aldeburgh, Woodbridge and Old Felixstowe and Southwold . Very good schools East Anglia.

I've been reading this section for months now and it's helped me a lot so I thought I would post my experience of uk bankruptcy so far if it helps anyone. I finally made the move over to the uk and have established comi ect. Being honest the first month was easy cause you're just so busy with finding somewhere to live, setting up bank account ect.
Month 2 and 3 I found really hard being away from family and friends. I only told a handful of people because yes I was ashamed of what I am doing.but therein lies the problem,I've had to get over it because it just wasnt healthy,mentally.
Month 4 was easier but then went back to Ireland for a visit and it was really tough leaving again. Month 5 and 6 well you start getting used to living here, people are friendly,things are much cheaper and you begin to see what life is like not having those thrice daily phone calls from banks/credit cards,not sleeping,stress ect . Yes I made a huge mistake in buying my apt in the boom and I probably will always feel bad about going against the mantra of paying your debts-I never missed a single bill until oct 12! But I really think life is too short not to grab a second chance and I am really beginning to see the light ahead.
This month I took my papers to lodge at court, I was pretty shaky handing them in to the lady at the desk(ESP after her colleague announced in front of 2 other people in the office that"that lady needs you to go over her bankruptcy papers" I nearly died of embarrassment but she went thru my papers,told me to come back next week with3 copies and £700 in cash and that the judge would then go thru my application and most likely just refer it to crown court where it will be decided then approx 6-8wks. So stage 1 done! Yes it is very stressful and I've lost count how many times I've stressed my poor partner out. Be prepared for rows-its just stress but we are definitely coming thru the other side of it now and pls god it will all go thru and we can start our new lives.. We are actually planning to stay on indefinitely here!hope some of this helps anyone out there thinking about doing it!

Hi Notsure, where are you based?
You wont go to the crown court. You will get transferred to the High Court, it could have been avoided by filing a witness statement and evidence of your comi in the UK.

Steve Thatcher

Back