UK and Irish Pension

shilling

I have been living and working in Ireland for 5 years and paying tax & PRSI. I also am currently paying voluntary National Insurance contributions in the UK to ensure that I am contributing to my UK pension should I return there in the future. Does anyone know if I continued to make contributions in the UK and I stay in Ireland until retirement age, would I be able to claim both UK and Irish State pensions?

If you were retiring at the moment you would be able to receive pension from both countries if you have paid sufficient PRSI contributions in Ireland and NI contributions in the UK to qualify. Each pension is applied for seperately.

However it would be impossible to predict what the future changes will bring.

I cant give you a general reply but I personally know ( a relative) who has moved home from England back to Ireland and is in reciept of a invalidy pension of about 440 pounds/month . He recieves a top up from the Irish Social welfare of about 60 -70 euro (depending on exchange rate) to bring him up to the Irish level and also recieves living alone allowance & medical card. He has no Irish 'stamps' or contributions as he never worked in Ireland.

Back