Udemy courses (and similar)

gnf_ireland

I was looking at professional certification in a few areas. In most cases you can self-study the topic and then sit the exam at an approved centre. Where and how you learn the topic is up to yourself.

For TOGAF (Enterprise Architecture standard), the options are class-room based training, virtual classroom, flexible virtual classroom and online self service. Classroom is obviously the most expensive and probably the best, followed by virtual classroom - although in a lot of cases the price differential is not material.
The flexible virtual classroom effectively breaks the course into modules, and has say 10 available times for the module to be attended. This allows you do the training over a longer period of time, but you could have different teachers during the period.
The online self-service is effectively a series of videos whereby the instructor goes through the topic and you can do so at your own pace, with minimal interaction between the instructor and yourself.

I am wondering if there is much difference between say the online self-service at one of these professional training colleges and selected courses on sites like Udemy? I imagine there is not much difference between them, although the Udemy ones are likely to be very hit and miss and you could as easily get a bad instructor as a good one. The cost differential between the two is massive.

Has anyone used Udemy (or similar) to prepare for professional certification and how did they get on doing so? I appreciate the certificate of completion is meaningless at the end, but can they be a good & cheap option to prepare for professional certification?

I think cheap online courses are a great way to confirm an interest that you have before paying for a more expensive one. But it really depends on what you want to get into. For IT and marketing jobs, degrees are not important when compared to real life experience so volunteeer work in that area would be more valuable

Back