Tyres - How Long should they last?

Hi Jenny H: Had an astra too about 6 years ago when I traded it in I got a phone call from a potential buyer wanting to know why I had changed the tyres. Told them they were the original ones. Dunlop. about 36,000 when I traded. Only tyres I didnt like were continental on a previous opel astra. just didnt like them. no reason.

I have an 04 Laguna and have 17k miles on the clock. The tyres are continentals but are now completely bald at the sholders - was told by one garage fella that these tyres were recalled. I am now looking to change them but don't want to go too expensive as I'm selling the car later this year. Any ideas as the best cheap brand to go with? And where to get them?

I have 17" Continentals.

Check the tyre pressures regularly.

Tyres are worn after only 27,000km/17,000 miles!

Car is not driven hard.

Is this excessive wear?

Having a bit of a row myself with Toyota at the moment. Took my car in for its 1st service (15000km) to be told there was only 2.5mm on the front tyres - not best impressed, I can tell you. They're a Dunlop, low profile sports tyre (just what you need on a Yaris!:rolleyes: ) I had non-toyota alloys fitted prior to collection and it was these people who decided to give me this type of tyre. Apparently, (as meaned in previous posts) better grip = more wear. Cos I've kicked up a bit Toyota are willing to replace them all and carry the cost themselves - all Dunlop rep was prepared to do was change the front 2, (for exactly the same spec!) and give me 50% off each tyre - so essentially 1 tyre free.

Always had great results with Continental but I've found Bridgestone to the best - assuming their within your budget:)

my past two cars ive got 40K miles out of the tyres. Usually change the front to the back after about 25K miles.

On my current car there is 43K KM on the clock - checked the tyres over the weekend and they are fine. Again I changed the front to the back after about 32K

Have Pirelli 225/45 17 Inch on a 316i with 50,000 Kilometers on the Clock.
The back though still legal will need replacing in about 5,000 Kilometers. Front Tyres, not for another 10-12,000.

Its probably just another manufactured reason to make you buy new tyres but I'm sure I read in my car manual that tyres should not be rotated between front and rear as the wear pattern was very different and could be dangerous

I have 17" Continentals.

Check the tyre pressures regularly.

Tyres are worn after only 27,000km/17,000 miles!

Car is not driven hard.

Is this excessive wear?

Depends on the tyres I have found Pirelli tyres glue you to the road and to be honest I have found them the best off any tyre I have tried in both wet and dry conditions but don't last jig time (lucky if I get 23,000 Miles)

Funny, I'm just back from what I thought would be just getting a puncture repaired...the reality was a €500 slap in the face!
Had to get four new tyres at €120 each. I asked the guy how long should they last and he said about 15,000 miles which tallies with what some other posters have said.
Funny, I've noticed different places slag off the generic tyres you get from their rivals...similar to a lot of industries I suppose. Still, has made me stick to bigger brands just in case. Probably foolish, anyone an expert? I haven't a clue

I used to drive a taxi, and i changed tyres about every 25,000 miles.

Loud tyre noise!!!What would cause the tyres to be noisy in normal driving?The tyres are Dunlop Sport 3000 205/55 R16 all four were fitted same day to Mondeo TDi.I have no complaints other than the noise which was evident from the day that they were fitted.

Hi

Out of interest, has anyone investigated buying their tyres ( & getting them fitted ) up North ?

... I've heard stories that it's much cheaper, but it's always a friend of a friend of a friend type stuff, so never been able to verify it.

Anyone ?

Thanks

G>

Back