TWSS - PRSI class J9 - contributions not counting towards state pension

dubdub123

Hi
I've just checked Revenue to get a figure for what I underpaid due to receipt of TWSS and noticed that the following was provided in the "Employment Detail Summary 2020" stating the PRSI contributions as below:

PRSI classA1
Number of insurable weeks 30
PRSI classJ9
Number of insurable weeks 22

However on the My Welfare site it states the following:

Contributions that count towards State Pension (Contributory)A, E, F, G, H, N, S, ORD, V1, V3, V4
Contributions that don’t count towards State Pension (Contributory)J, K, L, M, P, V2, B, C, D, WOPS

So If I'm reading this properly then I'm now missing out on 22 weeks of PRSI contributions due to receipt of TWSS. Can any confirm this? Is there any way of having this modified? Why would the PRSI class be changed in this way? I'd be interested to understand if this is across the board for people or if the onus is on employer..

Any guidance appreciated !

Yes noted this on my pays lip as well. When queried it and turns out since we on employment assistance scheme and as per revenue it needs to j class. I suspect this side effect of twss been pushed through. Employers only can put through the what their told. Employers only pay .5% prsi on J instead of the normal A class 4.5% and 8%

Actually under the prsi heading on this site it says that employee need to be on j9. But then goes on to say the employee will be credited for prsi and the record will be unbroken. So very confused

Given that you are receiving social welfare it wouldnt make sense that that payment is contributing to further social welfare entitlement.

Given that you are receiving social welfare it wouldnt make sense that that payment is contributing to further social welfare entitlement.
I believe if you on job seekers you get credited prsi for you pension. I believe the same for some other payments. Not expert so I could be misreading it

Yes noted this on my pays lip as well. When queried it and turns out since we on employment assistance scheme and as per revenue it needs to j class. I suspect this side effect of twss been pushed through. Employers only can put through the what their told. Employers only pay .5% prsi on J instead of the normal A class 4.5% and 8%

Thanks - I had a look there as well and seems that employers had to enter in J9 when submitting TWSS. But I was also receiving payment from my employer during this time period. Wonder should we get credit then in that case if we were getting TWSS along with salaried income?

Actually under the prsi heading on this site it says that employee need to be on j9. But then goes on to say the employee will be credited for prsi and the record will be unbroken. So very confused

Thanks for sharing that . So I wonder if those weeks will be credited back at some point? It's very unclear. Just checked MyWelfare site and 2020 contributions are not updated as yet for myself.

The wage subsidy scheme wasn't a social welfare payment though - it was a subsidy to the employers directly. PUP payments are social welfare payments.

Along with TWSS I was receiving salary as well and this made up bulk of income during those few months and TWSS was a portion of that, so I'd expect to get credited anyway based on that income.

Anyone have any further info on how it will be handled. Should we expect to be credited?
Link added earlier by irbx but it's not fully clear. Any info appreciated. Thanks

Back