Two Items You Should Never Do Without

While travelling to the city centre in a bus yesterday I overheard the driver saying:- If you need two items only they are good comfortable shoes and a good bed. I couldn't disagree with him.
You'd be cold walking around though, wouldn't you? The shoes mightn't get much use.

You'd be cold walking around though, wouldn't you? The shoes mightn't get much use.
Wait ‘til you’re my age and if the shoes don’t suit you, you can resort to shuffling around in slippers. I’m off on a trek in the Galtees since earlier.

If I may add to go with the the shoes don't forget to also include a good pair of socks
I've started walking myself recently as I can't seem to get my head back into cycling and am up to a daily 10Km walk now
and apart from having the right footwear for the job, socks with the correct padding are just as important as the shoes

And I presume the same logic applies to buying a good mattress don't forget about the pillows!!

Last edited:
I never thought of good shoes as an essential everyday item, but clearly they are. For years mine have been Meindl Respond or Rapide. Also good socks, e.g. Bridgedale. But two other items you should also consider are a good 120 db whistle such as a Fenix NW20; essential to summon aid if you are lost, trapped or being assaulted. At night it would be prudent to carry a 3000 lumen torch, such as a Fenix C7, which will illuminate anything you are likely to encounter when you are outdoors, or if you are investigating a noise in your property, and its strobe function can summon aid.

Seen on Twitter:

Age 25: I need cute shoes for this event. Age 45: I need cute shoes for this event that I can also wear to work and walk several miles in, don’t make me look old or like I’m trying too hard, won’t hurt my little toe or lower back, will last a minimum of 10 years & are on sale.

https://twitter.com/amydillon/status/1783674625139909007

Back