VHI Two Adults, early 70s. Switch from VHI HealthPlus Premium

elmaterdor

Hi,

I am looking into health insurance options for my parents, both in their 70s. They are currently on VHI HealthPlus Premium (formerly called Plan D) which is a comprehensive plan but is really expensive.

Their insurance renewal date is the 1st June – not much time left but I think I’m almost there in terms of options. I’m also aware of the 14 day cooling off period if I need a bit more time to select the best alternative.

I’ve reviewed options by looking at the HIA site and talking to various providers. I’ve narrowed down my options (see below). No doubt there are options I’ve missed …

They're looking to have a comparable insurance level to what they have now - a private rooms in a hi-tech hospital is not required. Outpatient cover is important. Dad has LTI card and GP card.

Any thoughts or comments on my options would be much appreciated.

My shortlist is;

VHI Plan B
- My parent are likely to be wary of moving away from VHI so this is why I’m considering it. Compared to HealthPlus Premium, cheaper by approx 2,200 euro.
- As far as I can see the main difference between Plan B and Plan D is Plan B only covers semi private in private 2 and 3 hospitals (Beacon, Vincent's Private, Hermitage). Plan D is more or less full cover in Private 4 hospitals (Blackrock, Mater Private) – this isn’t something that we must have however.
- Any other key differences or questions that are important to ask before considering this switch?

Laya Company Plan Plus
- Seems to be a very good plan. Much cheaper than HealthPlus Premium (Plan D) and cheaper than VHI Plan B.
- The main difference between this plan and VHI HealthPlus Premium, at least that I can see, is that you're just not covered for a private room in a private hospital. This is ok.
- It seems to be better than VHI plans (Plan D and Plan B) in other areas, especially things like occupational therapy, physio, dietician, speech therapy which will be of value for us.

Laya Company Plan Premium (No Excess)
- Seems to be equivalent to VHI HealthPlus Premium and there is ~1,500 euro saving when compared to HealthPlus Premium (Plan D)
- There is very little difference between the Company Care Plan Plus and the Company Care Plan Premium Excess. The only difference I can see is that you're just not covered for a private room in a private hospital - on Company Plan Plus you're covered up to semi-private in a private hospital

At the moment I’m leaning toward Company Plan Plus. I'm wary of missing important questions to ask and of downgrading and hitting a waiting list scenario in the future.

Again, any comments on the options would be appreciated.

Regards,

David

Back